I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji INFO connection
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 16, 2012 10:49AM

I try to be very careful about blatant promotion of the Fuji brand on this forum, and I don't plan to start now. I would like to take just a second, however, to summarize available sources of information about the products. Anglers Resource has not traditionally been a place to go for information but I think that may have changed substantially in the past 24 months.

1) The web site: Completely revamped with loads of info on guide selection and placement, tutorials and a working GPS interface (now including KL-H "KR CONCEPT" guides) along with detailed explanations of all of FUJI's "concepts" [www.anglersresource.net]
2) The Anglers Resource blog: a place on our web site where we can say what we want and make observations about trends and topics. We can also provide timely, detailed answers to the most often asked questions. It's a link at the bottom of the left hand menu at our web site [anglersresource.net], click RSS feed to be alerted via email every time a new blog is posted.
3) The GUIDE: a monthly newsletter that reviews all the goings-on at Anglers resource as well as any news from Fuji Japan and updates on new products and new ideas. Subscribe here [anglersresource.net] P.S. we give away a full set of guides every month to one lucky random subscriber.
4) The Catalog: 64-pages, full color and free. Just send an email (with your mailing address) to info@anglersresource.net
5) Support: send an email with your question to info@anglersresource.net
6) Facebook: a "new" page dedicated to up-to-the-minute insider info on what we're doing day-to-day. As soon as we have a good number of people following the page we will have some great promotions here. [www.facebook.com]
7) Decals: Free FUJI rod decals are always available from us. Just send a stamped self-addressed envelope to Anglers Resource, 400 E Section Ave, Foley, AL 36535.
8) Video support: "Homemade" YouTube style videos of Fuji's research and short informative tutorials on some of the most asked about question. They will all reside at our "channel" [www.youtube.com]

Hope this helps in your quest for answers. If all else fails, call us at 251-943-4491.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji INFO connection
Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: August 16, 2012 05:16PM

Anglers Resource has really stepped it up for sure and for that I thank you guy's for doing it. Lots of info and tools that are not only for the builder but can help your customer understand things that are new or just basic understanding of what is what. So good stuff and keep it up and thanks again!!

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 16, 2012 08:46PM

Hi Jim'
Fugi have been at the forefront for a long time and you guys are doing good stuff with all the info and thanks for sharing it. The only problem with Fugi's is the cost with some of the titanium framed guides with SiC rings up around the $100 mark. I'm partial to SiC rings and I like the titanium frames but can't justify the cost when I can get similar guides at half the price. The quality is fast approaching the Fugi's and their bringing out a lot of different frame styles. I realise that Fugi spends a lot of money on R and D and they need to get it back but i think that they should look at their pricing as they're doing themselves out of a lot of business.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 17, 2012 02:18AM

Jim, As a long time Fuji user I appreciate all the changes of upgrades and information available to we builders but, before Fuji discontinues a guide style they should reintroduce it to the newer builders and remind the rest of us of its potential for use. That way it may rejuvenate interest that will keep the guides in circulation. The reason for this is, I really favored the BLBLG guides for spiral wrapping boat rods on the E- glass blanks. The frames were strong and with one less leg it made for a lighter build and gave the blank more sensitivity. Just a bit of response going back to Fuji from this builder, Its all good.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: August 17, 2012 10:03AM

Col: Fuji produces a guide frame made of a proprietary "High Tensile" Titanium. "Pure" Titanium is, in Fuji's opinion, far too soft to use as a frame material. I understand that many believe the softness is an advantage since bent guide frames can be repositioned easily but that same softness in Fuji's R&D showed a reduction in ring retention since the ring frame bends as easily as the frame legs. This may not occur with competitive frames, but it was enough of an issue for Fuji to develop a (very expensive) Titanium alloy that they have successfully used for many years. Fuji Titanium should probably not be compared directly with other titanium frames. We wish Fuji Titanium was less expensive as much as you do, Col and it's not about recovering R&D dollars at this point, its about how dad-gum expensive the metal is!

Dennis, we feel your pain. Fuji looks at a global market and regardless of local "hotness" we sometimes get late breaking news that a particular guide is going away (we usually groan louder than anyone). Interestingly, we do have the ability to request a special run. The minimums are very high so when we get a request we check around to see if we can secure sufficient volume to place the order. In the majority of cases, we can't and would be left with a huge inventory which usually indicates that demand in the US was not really that "hot" after all. Compared to other products, the guide market is pretty stable, top sellers have been around unchanged for 30 years. Still, if you're on the fringe and comfortable with a certain product in your layout it hurts to see it go.

You mention "reintroducing" something before it disappears to make sure it's ready to go. We are thinking right now that the PSSLD reel seat is a perfect example of this and we can't see why the product hasn't done better than it has. It is absolutely a "better mouse trap" for boat rods and its design is immediately appreciated by anyone who tries it. Many call it the "Palm Seat"; it supports the base of your palm and adds an amazing level of reel stability to a fight. Very cool product that no one seems to understand.

Thanks for the kind words John, and thanks to all for your support, newsletter sign ups and Facebook likes.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 17, 2012 10:27AM

Hi Jim,
Thanks again for the info, it's appreciated.Titanium is expensive and not sure of the alloy my supplier is using but they have held up very well so far, haven't had a problem with any of the titanium framed guides. The only thing I notice with titanium is that it bends easily but work hardens quickly and that can cause problems if you do too much bending.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 18, 2012 01:34AM

Jim, Thank you for the heads up on the palm seat notice, thats the kind of info I wish to recieve before a product is to be discontinued.
I have used them and agree that it makes a boat rod more comfortable to hold for long periods and steadys the rod while under load.I will contact my supplier and order a dozen before they go away. Thank you.
PS: This is the information that should be on your website and E-mailed to subscribers.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2012 01:45AM by Dennis Danku.

Date: August 20, 2012 05:50PM

Col: Not knocking anyone's Titanium, just giving insight into Fuji's reasons for doing the things they do. Their high tensile titanium must already be "work hardened" because it is very strong and not very soft.

Dennis: Point taken. The Palm Seat is NOT discontinued at this time... just saying.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster