I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

? Good blanks for bass fishing
Posted by: Tim Greene (---.mycingular.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 10:21PM

Hello, I've just starting to build rods and have bought a couple RX7 and RX8 rainshadow blanks to build. Just wondering what people think is the best blanks available to the public to build on. Not concerned about price, action or ect. Just bass rods all around. Rainshadow, Northfork, st croix ect.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ? Good blanks for bass fishing
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 10:26PM

Tim,
I think that the answer to your question is very dependent on what power, length and action blank that you are considering.

There are many blank manufacturers out there that provide an excellent blank for a given purpose.

Just remember, the most expensive blank is not necessarily the best blank for a given purpose.
Often a much less expensive blank can actually be a better blank for a given purpose.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 10:39PM

Taking into account what Roger said about different blanks for different applications ... I like to use NFC, St Croix and Hydra. These are all US made blanks with great designs.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 10:40PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Rick Jones (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 11:06PM

If I could afford them, all my rods would be St Croix SCV. For me, they are a challenge finding the right thread colors though. I also like Phenix and MHX high mod.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: August 12, 2012 01:27PM

Get hold of the Swampland boys and tell them what you are looking for, they can provide exactly what you need.

Posted by: MHX Rod Blanks (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 12, 2012 01:42PM

We all have our own opinions – we naturally think the MHX High Modulus fresh water blanks are the best you can buy! Not just because we made them to have great actions, power and balance out of some of the best materials available, but their industry leading transferable warranty, individual serial numbers and quality control features are not available anywhere else.

Try one today:
[www.fishmhx.com]

Tight Lines,
MHX Rod Blanks
Web: [www.fishmhx.com]
Follow us on Facebook [www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2012 04:51PM

I will second the MHX blanks, I have built many but built and fish on a regular basis a glass casting, MB843, SJ842 and love them all. For the money you cannot go wrong!

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: August 12, 2012 05:46PM

Thanks Jim for putting the Hydra rod blanks in such elite company. That's a real honor. Yes they are a little more, but they are manufactured here in the US which gives us a ton of advantages over mass import options.

The next 6 months will be really exciting for Hydra as we increase the blank line up for a robust offering and reveal some of the things we're doing different to make some of the lightest, most responsive blanks in class. I'll give a slight hint in that we're using a material that no one else is using in rod blanks (to our knowledge anyway).

We pretty much specialize in bass right now, so if you are looking for something specific, drop us a line!

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2012 08:34PM

I will third the MHX blanks they also have a really good warranty, I am on my 8th or so blank and they have been reallt good actions and especially the High Modulus blanks are really fun to fish with, I walk around these lakes when i have no boat to fish on and they are light enough i don't really feel that exhausted from casting all day. tight lines!

Posted by: Tim Greene (---.mycingular.net)
Date: August 12, 2012 08:50PM

Thanks for all the info. Guys, I'm going to look into and read more info on the north fork, Hydra and the MHX.

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.100-50-210.dynamic.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: August 12, 2012 10:28PM

I have to say mhx is my go to blanks, whilst I'm only new to rod building I have been fishing with some pretty nice rods like megabass etc. I was really sceptical that a high mod blank for under $100 was going to be any good but after building it I'm wrapped. I just finished a second rod for a mate using the non hi mod blank and for $50 it's a cracker.

It will take something pretty special to get me to buy super high end stuff. Put some mattagi bling on an mhx and you have something pretty special.

I'm so happy Ross from Rodworks carries these now so us aussies don't have to fork out hundreds on shipping. Really looking forward to seeing the new white blanks.

Cheers
Mark
Old Bar NSW
AUSTRALIA

Posted by: Adam Curtis (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: August 13, 2012 12:43PM

MHX!

When it comes to price/performance its hard to look past these blanks. You might pay twice as much for a big factory name and to (me), throwing many of them side by side, isnt worth the markup.

Only time I've purchased another blank was when MHX didnt have the finish or spec I was looking for.

I have specifically put an MHX MB843 through the paces this year both in club tournies and personal outtings. It has held up beyond expectations and built quite a bit of trust and respect for the MHX lineup.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: August 13, 2012 02:50PM

I have to say that I would throw Castaway in there for some specific purposes (frogs/punch) too! I've definately got to try some of the Hydra's soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2012 02:50PM by Thomas Kaufmann.

Posted by: michael lynch-staunton (---.storm.ca)
Date: August 15, 2012 01:34PM

North Fork would be my first choice if price is not an option.......Lamiglas XL series if you like the color......and I can't forget MHX great blank for the money also their HM blanks are nice also.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster