I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

doing frist DEEP sea boat rod
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 12:19AM

doing my frist boat rod , when doing a double wrap on the guides , [ under wrap ] do you put flex coat on the frist wrap befor putting the second wrap on ????????????????
or do you just do both wraps on frist line them up , them do the flex coat ????????????? any help I could not find any thing about this on the forum ,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 12:44AM by william sidney.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: doing frist DEEP sea boat rod
Posted by: jack taller (139.194.95.---)
Date: August 11, 2012 01:22AM

is double wrap and underwrap are similiar?

you can search on youtube there is account name angler's envy who did triple wrap on his roller guide

Posted by: Bob Mankin (---.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 01:28AM

Personal preference and what you're comfortable with. Some wrap the overs with no finish on the underwrap. Some prefer finish. Personally I've switched to using a light water base poly coat for the underwraps. Dries in minutes so I don't have to wait hours or overnight for the epoxy coat to dry. Also cuts back a little on bulk, though that's not really an issue with a rod that's going to have underwraps in the first place.

[www.therodwerx.com]
Unique and innovative rod building components

Posted by: jack taller (139.194.95.---)
Date: August 11, 2012 01:28AM

here is the link [www.youtube.com] is this what you mean?
hope can help

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 11, 2012 02:33AM

Hi William,
Not necessary, just put on a coat of cp if your using it and then bind the guides on. Then do more cp if required, let it dry for 24hours then put on your finish and all will be good. Just make sure your using enough tension on the thread for your overwraps.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 07:16AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 07:17AM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 07:16AM

I always epoxy the underwrap so the overwrap has a smooth base to wrap over. GOtta use the right epoxy (THreadmaster) or teh thread will dig into the underwrap.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.84.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: August 11, 2012 07:42AM

I use flexcoat and do the same as Billy, making it easier to burnish the overwraps.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 11, 2012 08:23AM

I've done it without anything, with CP and with a light coat of finish. Having something on there definitely makes it easier to overwrap.

If you choose not to add anything, make sure the underwrap is made with a smaller sized thread than the overwrap.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 11:20AM

thanks for all the input will have to think about all the info I got ,
thanks again
BILL

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 07:08PM

Another vote for finish over the underwraps. DO NOT use a softer finish for this. TM, Classic Coat, and Flex Coat high builds are all good choices and my preference is in that order. On lighter rods where no underwraps are required or false underwraps are used, ProKote is my choice for its almost non-existent yellowing.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 12, 2012 10:28AM

You can also - if you like the color - use NCP thread for the base and put on a one part finish The new Threadmaster one may work well for this
Or Lumiseal

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 13, 2012 01:16PM

I just completed a rod lastnight with the last coat of American Tackle ProKote. I wrapped an underwrap and applied one coat of finish. Then I let it dry overnight and wrapped the guides and applied two more coats.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster