I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

dirty after sanding cork grip?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2012 10:34AM

Is there a better way to clean them cork grips after sanding rather then soap and water? Hope to hear from someone, Have a good one!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dirty after sanding cork grip?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 10, 2012 10:49AM

many ways

[rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2012 11:49AM

Lorenzo,
The easiest and most efficient way is AIR.
I do all of the "dirty rod building work" in a separate building where I have a large air compressor. I use the air compressor all of the time to blow away the dust etc.
After I have finished the dirty work for the time, I sweep up the bulk of the shavings, cuttings, dirt and dust. Then, I open the doors, and use the blow gun to go over the walls and ceilings, and blow any remaining dust out the doors.

The same is true when sanding any cork. After finishing the sanding, while the grips are still on the lathe, I just hit the spinning grips with high pressure air, and any remaining dust is quickly blown away.

I do the same thing, if I am sanding a grip while it is still on a rod. Just hit it with high pressure air from a blow gun and all of the dirt is gone:

[miltonindustries.com]

There are all kinds of blow guns. In the US, OSHA mandates the use of a safety blow gun if it is being used in a typical garage environment. This OSHA mandate limits the nozzle pressure to 30 psi. This was done as a result of injury to individuals caused by fellow workers playing around and putting air nozzles where they shouldn't have been placed.

So, rather than using the safety blow gun, I use the straight air gun that allows me to have the full 130 psi at the tip of the gun. The 130 psi, does a much much better job of getting the things blown out of the shop as well as any dust and dirt out of the sanded handles.

Obviously, when using such a non safety tipped blow gun, it is imperative, that a user uses it safely.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 10, 2012 12:38PM

If you don't have a compressor you can get the compresed air for computers

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: August 10, 2012 05:52PM

I use a heavy duty "paper towel" like Rags In A Box and wet it with denatured alcohol.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 10, 2012 06:44PM

I do the same as Matt. It's so quick and easy even my five year old Grandson can clean a grip for me in under six seconds.

Lance

Posted by: Phil Brenner (---.sfo.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 12:09PM

I usually use an old tooth brush with some soapy water but have used DNA with same brush many times works great

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster