I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tape removable
Posted by: John Kitch (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 09, 2012 03:04PM

I use masking tape to mark guide locations and such on rod blanks. I also use electricians tape to hold guides for test casting. I use alcohol to remove glue residue that remains after I remove the tape. Is there a better way to remove the sticky after the tape is removed?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tape removable
Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.hckr.nc.charter.com)
Date: August 09, 2012 04:13PM

i got some great advise on this forum to use the more expensive BLUE tape because it is perfect for the task. covers well, releases without tearing, leaves no residue when it is removed. best tape i have used! does not pull finish off like cheaper tape did.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 09, 2012 05:05PM

There is a product called "Goo Gone" it is very good at removing adhesives left by tape and self adhesive labels. I use it a lot and find no residue left from it.

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.100-50-210.dynamic.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: August 10, 2012 04:34AM

Hi Woodsy I have seen that blue tape all over airbrush tutorials on you tube is it actually called "blue tape" or is it known by another name like painters tape? I really like to source some for masking lures.

Cheers
Mark
Old Bar NSW Aust.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 10, 2012 04:52AM

Hi Mark,
Bunnings have got that stuff.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: John Kitch (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 10, 2012 06:04AM

Blue tape sounds like the solution. Thanks all.
John

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 10, 2012 09:45AM

Yep
Painters tape

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2012 11:50AM

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 10, 2012 02:38PM

I quit using tape to mark my guides, because of the sticky glue. depending on brand of tape alcohol normally works but sometimes it does not...and then it gets to be a mess.

I now use one of those Dry Eraser markers to mark the location of my guides and tie them on with round elastic cord you get from sewing stores. (name brand one I use is call Stretchrite)

The Dry Eraser just wipes off on glossy rods and a with little bit of alcohol for the non-glossy rods.

I cut the elastic to lenght and tie a clove hitch around the blank, slide the guide under and lightly tighten. It's reusable also! I know but I'm cheap!

Larry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 10, 2012 02:46PM

You don't really have to put any marks on the blank
You can measure say from the tip or butt and using rubber bands bands put each guide on using a tape measure Then static test it The rubber bands will let you move your guides when you static test

Or use a factory placement and adjust from there

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: patrick crisci (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 02:20PM

That's exactly what I was looking for -- an alternative to using tape for temporary guide placement. I'm gonna try the rubber bands and that other stretchy stuff. i thought about using short, narrow cable ties. I want something that will hold the guides on the blank and will slide up or down as they need to be adjusted. Thanks for the ideas!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster