I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide wraps
Posted by: Chris McDaniel (---.lightspeed.brhmal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 09, 2012 01:45PM

Any tricks to getting all of your wraps equal on each guide foot? I have used calipers and tried to mark the starting point, is there a better way?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide wraps
Posted by: Victor Heal (---.static.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: August 09, 2012 01:51PM

Mine get smaller as I progress towards the tip. Having said that, I start them 5 wraps from the foot and go from there.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 09, 2012 01:59PM

If you want them all of equal length, I have found the simplest method to be: after wrapping the first one to the desired length, cut a strip of paper to exactly that width, this then becomes your "gauge" for subsequent wraps. A more exact way is to count the wraps as you go..................LOL

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: August 09, 2012 02:19PM

I mark up a little index card. I use an engineers ruler graduated in 64's on one side and 100's on the other side. I should use a metric ruler but is what I have. I never have decided on the right way to size the wraps proportinal to guide length. I think Billy posted something on that once but I forget.

I miss the days when I felt comfortable scribing marks on the blank. Sometimes I still do if it is a heavy blank with a thick finish on it!

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 09, 2012 03:30PM

I use a sewing guage that you can get at any sewing store. They are cheap and adjustable.
Here is an example.
[www.createforless.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2012 03:31PM by Bob Riggins.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 09, 2012 05:48PM

Hi Chris,
I'm a little different, when I'm doing an underbinding I use 130% of the guide length, both single and double footers and that works out good for me, you could probably use 125%. For light weight rods without an underbinding and single footers I start about 2mm from the end of the guide foot and that matches up well with Forhan locks. Without locks and double footers I start about 1mm from the end and that gives me 5 or 6 wraps before climbing the guide foot. I've also got a chart that tells me how far to start from the guide position for different types and sizes of guides. I mark the blank with a china graph pencil where the ring sits. The chart has been established to give equal length bindings on double footers. A little mucking around with different sized guides with a pencil and ruler will make you one.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lns2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 09, 2012 06:58PM

Hi Chris

I am with Victor on making the wrap length smaller as i go up the rod.But i try to keep the running train all the same size as all
the guide feet are the same length.I have longer wraps than most they start out at about 8mm on the stripper as i am putting in
a bit of a fancy trim just cant help myself.But at the moment i just use a ruler and a chinagraph pencil to mark it out.I have been
meaning to get one of the sewing gauges Bob mentioned they look the goods.Theres a lot of good stuff in sewing shops just
you get some funny looks from the fairer sex when your in there.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (96.18.237.---)
Date: August 09, 2012 07:24PM

I just eyeball them if they look good I go with it. I found if you try to keep them all the same as you go toward the tip the wraps start to look longer even though they measure the same. I generally try to start about 5 or 6 wraps from the guide but even that varies depending on the guide foot length. If it looks good I go with it.

Bruce

Posted by: Andy Stromsness (---.238.106.216.unassigned.sdncommunications.com)
Date: August 10, 2012 12:12AM

I have marks on the side of my burnishing tool for reference. That way you don't have to hold or grab extra tools.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 10, 2012 01:05AM

Get a 6" center rule, its the best tool for this application.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 10, 2012 10:03AM

I use a Compase with points on each end

I start at the tip and do the first guide from the top as short as I can Measure it Then each wrap after is maybe a 16 - 32 nd larger after that This way as the blank gets larger the wraps get longer
Eye Candy

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2012 11:54AM

Chris,
I just do 5 wraps on the blank before I get to the guide. Then, wrap the length of the guide.
Pretty simple. No measuring required. Of course the smaller guides have shorter wraps, but that makes sense from an appearance stand point.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster