I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Sizing Tip Tops?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2012 12:03PM

Scott,
To put it simply.
I just use a tip ring size that is the same size as the last running guide. When you have several running guides that are all the same size, it just makes sense to me to have the tip ring the same size as the last running guide.

Then, just purchase a tip that has a ring the size you want and a tube that has a size that matches the size of the tip of the blank.

[www.mudhole.com]

If you look at the table, you will see that Mud hole lists the tube as the 2nd number. i.e. the number that is in parentheses.

When you look down the table, you will see the tube size listed in decimal. Then, when you go down the table to larger ring sizes, you will see the 2nd number repeat, and you will see the same tube size listed in parentheses again.

Take care
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 10, 2012 03:11PM

Manufacturers guide spacing should not be an option. That blank would be best suited with a custom guide train. Someone here will tell you the exact guide placement and types needed. Using micros on a spinning rod is a HUGE improvement.

Posted by: Scott Degen (---.static.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: August 10, 2012 05:19PM

Thanks for all the tips!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2012 07:06PM by Scott Degen.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 10, 2012 07:16PM

High Scott,
That one looks ok for your first guide the next couple of reduction guides may or may not fit a straight line path. Very difficult to get things right if you only order the required number. 20, 10, 5.5 then 4's may be ok or you might need a 12 or 6 instead of the 10 and 5.5. It's something you need to experiment and play around with to get the optimum results. Micro's on spinning rods have worked well for me and I'm going to do another one when my workshop is rebuilt. If you are building a number of rods the same then you should get a number of different sized guides that are suitable for a reduction train. They may or may not need to be high frames and sometimes you need to put a standard frame amongst them to get everything nice and straight. Any old micro's might not be the go either as the feet size shape can be different. Get something that matches the reduction train if possible and the feet size and shape can determine how well they bind to the rod and hence affecting strength.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Scott Degen (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: August 10, 2012 07:23PM

Thanks! FYI I moved the question you answered to its own thread [rodbuilding.org] since it's a different subject than the title says, in case you were wondering where the question went. :)

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster