I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Matching a blank
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: August 06, 2012 06:41AM

I'm trying to match a Falcon LowRider XG rod (166-M) for a client. It's 6'6", rated for 1/4-1/2oz lure and 8-17lb line, labeled as a medium action and feels medium "to me". I did some measurements and came up with an AA of 69 (which would be a fast action, but we won't go there) and an ERN of 15.72. I compared it to a St Croix 3C66mm on a jig made by Backlash and the bend of both rods when loaded with the same weight is very different in its progression albeit they start at about the same place. The St Croix has a slightly lower AA and a significantly lower ERN and it feels more "sloppy". I compared the Falcon to a Rainshadow CB66mm and things went the other way. The AA was higher, the ERN higher and the feel somewhat stiffer than the Falcon. Again, side by side comparison showed a marked difference. I don't have a shop full of blanks to compare and I don't have a cache of cash to order a bunch of blanks to try. I thought the St. Croix 2C66mm might get me there as I see it's tip size is slightly larger than the 3C66mm and may pull me in between the two, I don't know. Does anyone have any CCS data on the St Croix 2C66mm? Or, any suggestions?
BTW, all rods tested were complete rods. Guides, wraps, handles etc. were similar enough to minimize any effect, I believe.
Thanks,
Greg Marshall

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Matching a blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2012 09:43AM

You just didn't want to buy a Falcon LowRider XG blank for the client? Or doesn't falcon sell blanks?

By the way, if you want a match, try a Batson RX8 blank.

Give the folks at Batson, if you don't have one on hand and they will give you a very close match.

Roger

Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: August 06, 2012 10:44AM

Nope, to my knowledge Falcon does not sell blanks. And, they do not let out who they get em from.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2012 11:40AM by Greg Marshall.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: August 06, 2012 11:24AM

Greg,

Give the boys at Swampland a call, they should be able to hook you up with a very similar blank. They will not dissapoint you what so ever, they are a first class run operation that truely cares about their customers!

Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster