I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe Runout
Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: August 05, 2012 08:58PM

How much runout is acceptable in a wood lathe?Ive noticed my mandrels vibrating lately and checked runout this afternoon.I chucked a 1/2 in. dia center drill as close to the chuck as possible and checked with a dial indicator as close to the chuck on the surface of the bit as possible and got .035 runout. The tailstock live center point and the center drill point in the chuck are also a shade off center when brought together.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe Runout
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 05, 2012 09:21PM

Wood lathes are not intended to be as accurate as fine machine/tool lathes, however, they shouldn't be off by much.

Is your headstock adjustable for position?

Also check your mandrels - some are not perfectly straight and the smaller diameter ones are prone to whip out of round when spun fast or in longer lengths.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2012 10:05PM

Bruce,
As you well know, the less runout the better.
Anything that you can do to minimize runout will let you deliver a better product.

Roger

Date: August 05, 2012 10:25PM

This is an older sprunger lathe.The chuck is a nearly new barracuda I bought less than 6 mos and probably turned a half dozen cork grips on it.The particular mandrels are a couple Lynn made special for me 16in. long and 5/8 and3/4 dia.It does the same with whatever is in the chuck.Ive had the shaft out of the headstock to check bearings and replaced both though they didnt seem bad.The head stock shaft is probaly 8 in. long and mounts chuck with a 1in. thread .Idont see how it possibly could be bent that short and dia. that big.Is it likely the chuck could be out of round.I have no adjustment on the headstock as the bed and headstock housing are cast together.

Date: August 06, 2012 07:21AM

Sprunger made a very good lathe.

Take the chuck off and insert a center into the MT on the headstock, and the same on the tailstock. Run them up close and see if they meet dead on. If so, then it's your chuck. If not, then it is what it is.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2012 09:51AM

Bruce, With respect to lathes and tail stocks:

One of the big reasons to use MT inserts for both head stock and tail stocks is that it is easier to get very small runouts with MT inserts in the lathe.

On the other hand, when you have a thread on a head stock and a thread on the inside of a chuck, it is much tougher to have the same small run out.

If you find, that when using a well made pointed insert on both the head stock and tail stock and find that you have little run out, but find that the run out increases with the chuck screwed on, and if the chuck is a high quality chuck, the most likely cause for the run out is the threads that are on the head stock.

Good luck
Roger

Date: August 06, 2012 06:52PM

Tom I told you wrong,the headstock is bolted to the bed casting.A few minor adjustments and got that dead center with the tailstock.The runout is still a pretty good bit(.030) or so out with the 4 jaw chuck.Roger you are right with my jacobs chuck on the #2 taper it is only .003-.005 out.I thought I was buying a quality chuck in the barracuda.Maybe Im expecting too much.I guess my next question is can I buy a 4 jaw chuck on a taper instead of screwing on.Is thereb a better quality chuck with screw on threads?

Date: August 06, 2012 07:30PM

Most all the chucks thread onto the lathe headstock spindle. But while none of these will be as accurate as say, the really expensive chucks sold for larger machine lathes, there are very good ones out there. I very much prefer the OneWay Talon. It costs a little more than the Barracuda, but I'm confident it's a better chuck.

Date: August 06, 2012 08:23PM

Tom is there somewhere you prefer to buy it?What jaws do I need ? I believe you have said you used the #1 spigot jaws a lot.Im looking at the Oneway talon safety chuck.Is that the one you have?

Date: August 06, 2012 09:13PM

OneWay Talon (never heard it called "safety") is the one I use. The Spigot jaws are great. The Talon has a very generous capacity.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster