I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

loose tip over butt ferrule
Posted by: patrick crisci (207.241.248.---)
Date: August 03, 2012 11:31AM

I got a 2-piece tip over butt Lami blank a while ago and never noticed that the ferrule fit was a mess. At that point I had the grip and seat on the butt section and guides taped in place. I joined the sections together to test cast and immediately discovered the loose ferrule engagement.

When joined, the female, seated as far down on the male ferrule as she can go, is too big. There is a hair's width of space between the two, so that they are not fully engaged. The female section seems like it's seated for some of its length, but at the bottom end of the female ferrule the fit is visibly loose and the tip section moves when wiggled.

Learned one lesson from this already: Check your blanks when you get them and address any concerns right away with the seller.

I've read similar threads on this topic but I am still not sure what the best course of corrective action is sinceI've never dealt with this before.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to correct this problem.

Pat

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: loose tip over butt ferrule
Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: August 03, 2012 11:34AM

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 03, 2012 12:09PM

The top end of the male section needs to be shortened, until the opening the female section will fully and securely seat.

Trim 1/8th inch from the top of the male section and check for fit. If that won't do it, trim another 1/8th inch and check again. It would be rare that you would need to remove more than a total of 1/4 inch in order to get the proper fit.

There is a much more detailed article in the Volume 13 #1 issue of RodMaker on fixing all sorts of ferrule problems.

Posted by: patrick crisci (207.241.248.---)
Date: August 03, 2012 12:58PM

Thanks. Trimming the top end of the male ferrle (this is the butt section), is easy enough. But what about the little rubber stopper that's there now? If I cut the top end of the male ferrule section willI be able to reuse that rubber plug?

Date: August 03, 2012 02:06PM

Probably. If not, just insert a dab of RodBond or cut a plug of EVA to size.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 03, 2012 02:07PM

You can if it still fits
Or
You can fill the opening with a little rod bond after making sure it fits well
I will always sand the very edge on the -- male -- with 400 just to make sure the edge does not cause any problems
Make sure there is no glue on the blank Clean with a paper towel befor it sets up

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: patrick crisci (---.hsd1.ny.comcast.net)
Date: August 03, 2012 02:43PM

Thanks guys. I'm gonna take a conservative approach to your idea of trimming the male ferrule back.

I've drawn a line on the butt section of the blank 1/8" down from the plug on the male ferrule. I'll start by sanding a little and then fitting the sections together until I get a nice neat fit, and go from there. I will attempt to reuse the plug. If I can't I have some RodBond I can use. Would a dab of silicone caulk work as a plug? Would that work?

Date: August 03, 2012 03:29PM

Trimming the male ferrule back is the correct method for fixing this. It's bottoming out inside the female section.

Date: August 03, 2012 04:46PM

OK, I'll get the scalpel out. I just dont want to take off too much :o

Date: August 03, 2012 05:10PM

Not sure you'll be very successful with a scalpel. Try this, mark the blank 1/8th inch behind the male top end. Wrap some masking tape around it there to function as a straightedge. Now use the corner of a file, or even a hacksaw with a fine tooth blade, to carefully cut the blank. Lightly round over the cut edge with some fine sandpaper.

Wipe the cutting/sanding residue off so as not to scratch the surfaces when you check for fit.

Date: August 03, 2012 05:48PM

Tom,
I was joking about the "scalpel" -- I was going to use a Dremel, but if you think a file or fine tooth saw works better, I have them too.
Thanks for all your advice. :)

Date: August 03, 2012 06:05PM

A Dremel is fine. It works very well for this operation. I'd still use the tape as a straightedge.

Date: August 04, 2012 08:15AM

I have the blank taped at the 1/8" mark as a cutting guide and to prevent splitting. It's a 7' honey glass Lami. Thanks again for your help and I'll let you know how the "surgery" goes.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: August 05, 2012 05:33PM

do let us know how it came out as a lot of people follow this type of problems an would like to know how it comes out

Date: August 05, 2012 05:50PM

I cut 1/8" off of the end of the male ferrule. I fitted the sections together. The female ferule is still not completely seated. I cut another 1/8" and that made a much better fit. Not perfect, but a lot better. I think it will be fine. I'm going to wrap it, fish it. If it acts up, I'll deal with it. I've read where others have built up the male ferrule with a coat or two of Permagloss to achieve a better fit. We'll see. Thanks everyone for your helpful advice.

--Pat

Date: August 05, 2012 05:50PM

I cut 1/8" off of the end of the male ferrule. I fitted the sections together. The female ferule is still not completely seated. I cut another 1/8" and that made a much better fit. Not perfect, but a lot better. I think it will be fine. I'm going to wrap it, fish it. If it acts up, I'll deal with it. I've read where others have built up the male ferrule with a coat or two of Permagloss to achieve a better fit. We'll see. Thanks everyone for your helpful advice.

--Pat

Date: August 05, 2012 06:16PM

You're headed in the right direction. If you need to take off another 1/16th, do it. Once you get it right, it's a permanent fix.

Date: August 09, 2012 07:33PM

I trimmed the male ferrule again, for a third time. In total I removed about 5/16" and now the femaie ferrule seats nice and tight.

A hypothetical question: Is there a point at which you must stop trimming the male ferrule back? Would you not reach a point where the increasing diameter of the male ferrule prevents it from going far enough into the female to make a secure fit?

Thanks,this board is a great resource.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster