I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping Multiple Colors - thread carriage?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: August 02, 2012 10:30AM

Want to start to do more 3 & 4 color wraps. I use a Pac Bay power wrapper, and the carriage only holds two spools of thread. I purchased the old style carriage that holds 4 spools, but it's not really user friendly.

Any other thoughts on how to do so? I am possibley even in the market for a new wrapper, so that's an option too.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping Multiple Colors - thread carriage?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 02, 2012 10:36AM

I hold the thread in my hand for multi-color wraps, never bothering to even put the spools on the carriage. I suppose it all comes down to how you prefer to do things. The Renzetti will hold 8 spools. I'm sure what you have could be modified to hold more than 4, but it might take a little thought.

Date: August 02, 2012 12:15PM

4 colors would be plenty, and just 3 would do it. The "good" carriage I have only holds 2 colors - the other that holds 4 is not really user friendly.

Date: August 02, 2012 12:32PM

Are you attempting to wrap directly from the thread on the carriage to the rod?

Date: August 02, 2012 12:37PM

No - the older 4 thread style Pac Bay carriage uses a tensioner like the Flex Coat wrappers - spring pressure discs the thread runs between, and then thru a hook type guide - then to the rod. I guess the crux is there is only one tensioner for 4 thread spools, and you kinda tie yourself in to a Bimini Twist if you change colors too much.

The carriage that holds two spools is excellent design.

Date: August 02, 2012 12:59PM

What I meant to say, was are you using the thread carriage in applying the thread to your decorative wraps. I know some do it this way, but I never use the carriage when doing butt wraps - I cut the thread to length and run it through my fingers. From what you've written, I'm assuming that you're working directly from the carriage, just as you would when doing guide wraps.

I'm not up to speed on the carriages on these type wrappers currently. I have a Renzetti and know it will handle 8 spools at a time.

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 02, 2012 01:17PM

I still use bobbin holders. The weight of the hanging spool keeps the thread in place while swapping colors. I have not been able to even wrap a guide with my thread carriage.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 02, 2012 02:30PM

Hi Marc,
I'm a hand turner and for inlays etc just use pieces of thread and it suits me. Made my own thread tensioner which I'm sure you could adapt to a power wrapper with some thought. It holds two spools, with two eyes for each spool. One is a tip and the other is stainless TIG wire wrapped around a screw driver shaft which enables the thread to be removed and inserted without cutting the thread if required. Could make something bigger that would hold four spools without much effort.
Link to the tensioner pic [www.rodbuilding.org]

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 02, 2012 03:53PM

I don't have one but am sure there is a way to keep the plate Add recesed head bolts ( 4 ) to it and add washers springs and wing nuts

Routing the thread is up to you

or even add a vertical post with 4 bolts on it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: August 03, 2012 08:00AM

Lay the thread behind the carriage and bring it through the tensioner with the others? OR, take an old spool and load half with 1 color and the other half with the other color and do that for each spool to get the number of threads you want.

KK

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2012 08:01AM by kevin knox.

Posted by: Steve Wann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: August 03, 2012 12:29PM

Not trying to hijack this thread but I want to try the bobbin technique. Is there a B&M store where I can go to pick some up. Also, which ones do I get for the traditional Gudebrod 100 yard or 1 once spools? Mudhole can't be the only place, and they can't cost 1 million apiece.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 03, 2012 02:11PM

Find a store in your area that sells fly tying stuff
Bring a spool with you

But they can be adjusted buy bending them CAREFULLY

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: August 04, 2012 06:58AM

Fly shops will have them, and they will hold the 100 yd spools. Most of the thread used in fly tying is made by Gudebrod on the same spools that we use for rodbuilding. Just google "Fly tying bobbin" and you will see them. Make sire you get the ceramic lined bobbin, they last longer.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster