I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Symbicort
Posted by: John Bumstead (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 31, 2012 09:10AM

Good morning: I have been seeing an advertisement on TV for Symbicort. They show a grandfather, son and grandson releasing a fish. They also show the grandfather carrying a rod I have never seen the likes of. It looks to be five and a half to six feet long with what looks to be two single foot spinning guides and a tip. The reel looks like a Great Lakes trolling reel. Any ideas? Thanks, John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Symbicort
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: July 31, 2012 11:51AM

I saw the same thing and the wife gave me a jab and said "only you would notice that."
the reel looks like a large fly reel or a center pin on a short rod. my film maker son said it's all about appearance. that style reel "shows" real well and the short rods is easier for the actors to handle and it fits into the entire frame. it's all marketing.

Posted by: Wayne. Dye (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: July 31, 2012 01:31PM

I noticed the wierd set up also and got the same reaction from the BW.

Gary, There is a Marquardt marina in Mexico Beach Fl just east of Panama City.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 31, 2012 02:39PM

I believe it shows that the marketing folks setting up the commercial basically don't know a 'bluegill from a cheerio' when it comes to fishing. Nor does the old actor guy. Which leads me to this: I think they should have used Mike Barkley for that commercial. He would have been much more believable and would have shown off a better looking and correct rod rig. I'm just saying .....!!!!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 31, 2012 05:35PM

According to the marketers that rod has the utmost sensitivity and that reel perfectly balances the rod. It's a pricey set-up, but it's the latest and the best.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 31, 2012 10:24PM

Now Steve, be nice!!!! Not sure how to take that one LOL!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 01, 2012 03:16AM

Hi Mr Barkley,
I thought Steve was being nice!! Retired old farts need to take all the niceties and extra cash they can get. The add probably won'y be seen in this neck of the woods so I'l go with Steve, you'd have been bettter and probably better looking!!!!!

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: John Bumstead (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 01, 2012 08:45AM

Phil: I'll bet you are right! I have an old Pflueger SAL-TROUT No. 1558. The reel is about 5 3/4" in diameter and loaded with over a hundred yards of solid copper line (wire). Perhaps I should get on the bandwagon and pair that reel with one of my older bamboo surf rods that is 10' long and market the whole outfit as the latest in a sinking fly line rig. Thanks for all the replies gents. John

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: August 01, 2012 08:49AM

no no no John. you need to mount that Pflueger on a 4' ultra light rod. then you'll be a movie star!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 01, 2012 12:07PM

John: Back in the day when pulling copper we used a spool fastened to the turntable of a wind-up victrola record player for a reel. I might have to add some weight to the tip of my 5' UL rod to balance this combination, and the reel seat may pose some problems.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 01, 2012 03:14PM

Since you guys are building these kind of rods
I got such a deal --- here Be a Star
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster