I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marbelling
Posted by: Garry N Harris (---.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: July 31, 2012 04:38AM

Got a newby question,
Been reading up on marbelling and was thinking, is there any reason why i can't use nail polish instead of hobby paints?
There seems to be plenty of colours to choose from and i can borrow some off of my daughter and she would never know. lol

I always take life with a grain of salt. Plus a slice of lemon and a shot of Tequila.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marbelling
Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: July 31, 2012 06:39AM

G'Day Garry I've tried it & it sort of works I found that the colours were very washed out & very translucent & to achieve the same depth of colour that you get with pigment I had to use almost a 50 - 50 epoxy to nail polish & that upset the drying time of the epoxy so I discarded the idea . There was a bit of chatter earlier this year so maybe if you do a search there should be quite a few comments on the subject

Hope this helps

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: July 31, 2012 03:24PM

Garry,

Dry pigments like Pearl X are the only way to go in my opinion.

DR

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 31, 2012 10:27PM

Duane X2. IMO, you won't get good results with ANY paints. What you want to use are pigment. Pearl X is awesome but paint pigments or TAP pigments also work pretty good.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Garry N Harris (---.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: August 01, 2012 12:07AM

Thanks for the replies, now i know not to use nail polish.

I always take life with a grain of salt. Plus a slice of lemon and a shot of Tequila.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 01, 2012 03:21AM

Hi Gents,
Need to have a crack at marbelling. What are the Mudhole pigments like??. Will have a good chat with Barry at the next SEARBS get together next month. Who supplies the pearl X pigment.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: August 01, 2012 04:45AM

Col the TAP pigments are the best that I have found ,If you want we can have a play with them next SEArb getogether I have a couple of different types of pigments to try if you are interested

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 01, 2012 06:37AM

Hi Barry,
I'm interested and we can do something along those lines. Never done any but have been wanting to try it for a good while.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-228-159.myvzw.com)
Date: August 01, 2012 12:09PM

Where do you get the Pearl X and the TAP?? I have tried several things and have not been too happy with the results. Thanks for any info.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 01, 2012 01:06PM

Pearl X = most any crafts store

DR

Posted by: chris stevenson (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 04, 2012 03:19PM

MY .02 ,been using pro-tec powder pigments for the last 3 yrs with excellent results,i don't even think of using anything else.i don't know about the pearl-x as this is my first of hearing that brand,is it easy to mix together to create new shades?this is one of the reasons i choose pro-tec,very easy to get just the right color to accent a build

www.southriverrodsllc.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster