I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Short Blank
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: July 30, 2012 10:39AM

I'm looking for a short 5'6" blank that can be used for throwing buzzbaits (1/4 to 1/2 oz) on braided line and in tight quarters. Need a moderate or moderate fast action in graphite (carbon fiber), limber but not too limber. Was looking at NFC but all of their blanks of this length are Fast. Would it be possible to take one of their 6' blanks and cut a full 6" off of it? Would that butcher the action too much? Any suggestions on blanks for this? I absolutely can't go longer than 5'6".

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Short Blank
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 30, 2012 10:43AM

Taking 6 inches off a 6 foot long blank is going to make the rod considerably slower in action. You'll have to find out how fast, is fast, before you'll have some idea where you're going to end up.

You may have to look at some of the super or extra fast blanks that might allow you to remove that much or more and still come in with a fast action rod. I can't stay up to date with all the different models out there but I know that St. Croix and lately Pacific Bay have introduced some extra fast action models that might allow you to do what you need to do. I'm sure other companies have similar models as well.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 30, 2012 10:59AM

Maybe the Forecast SB723. It is RX6 material, inexpensive and should end up where you want, in respect to action, after whacking 6". The lure rating is right and it will be durable since it is RX6 material.
[www.batsonenterprises.com]

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: July 30, 2012 12:05PM

Greg,

You should be able to cut 6 inches from a 2C60MF or a 3C60MF and have what you are looking for. Just make sure you cut from the south boud end of the stick.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 30, 2012 12:07PM

Yes ... definitely the butt end of the stick IF you didn't know that already.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2012 01:51PM

Take a look at the Batson spg782 or the batson spg 783.

Both of these have actions and power in the range that you are looking for. Trim the length from the butt of the rod to get the length that you want.

Both of these blanks are tough enough to hold up to heavy duty use in tight quarters.

Roger

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 30, 2012 03:09PM

Hi Greg,
If you get deperate and don't want to cut the blank there is an Aussie blank that would fit the bill nicely. An Excel Composities Stealth DCX 664 is rated 8-12lb, length 5ft 6 and would throw those sized lures. It's a baitcaster blank but I have used several to make up short boat rods and they're a very nice blank. The other big issue would be cost by the time you get it shipped to the States and the price has gone up since the last time I got one, also the Aussie dollar is strong against the US dollar at the moment. The Rodworks on the left has got them and I'm sure Ross would oblige if needed.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.134.---)
Date: July 30, 2012 03:41PM

St. Croix SC4C68MXF. This blank is SO fast, that you can easily trim it from the butt to get 5'6" and still have a very fast rod capable of throwing the lure weights you list.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster