I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need Help with Refinish.
Posted by: David Stanfield (---.knology.net)
Date: July 29, 2012 07:31AM

I have been asked to refinish an old graphite Fenwick fly rod. After inspecting the wraps, they appear ok. The finish on the wraps is about gone. What is the best way to proceed ? My thoughts were to wipe down the rod and simply recoat the thread wraps, then clean and sand the cork grip? I've never done a dedo so I would appreciate any advice ? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Help with Refinish.
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 29, 2012 08:39AM

Hi David,
You might be ok with the wraps, the only way to find out is to do it if you don't get more helpful posts. You might have to strip all the wraps and redo them. What's the original finish on the blank like? as it might need to come off as well. If it does you need to strip it off carefully probably with a mild paint stripper or a very careful sand and refinish with automotive clears or permagloss. The cork refinishing is easy. Tape up the reelseat, butt cap and anything in front of the foregrip that's needed.. Put it in a lathe and give it a sand with some 400 paper. You might have to go a bit coarser if the the cork is bad. You might also have to fill the dings to make it look better and the sand again with 400 and finish it with 600. A coat of cork sealer and it will be a big improvement.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-228-252.myvzw.com)
Date: July 29, 2012 08:50AM

Hi David, I have refurbished and or rebuilt a lot of fly rods. It has been my experience that cleaning off old epoxy and applying epoxy over sections with old epoxy and areas where it is gone is more problematic then stripping the guides and re-wrapping them. I have found too many inconsistencies with the condition of the thread and the look once it has been coated with epoxy, especially if there are areas with the old epoxy still on the thread. If you can get most of the old off and are going to go ahead with that then coat the thread with CP first, unless the guides were put on without CP the first time. I usually tell a customer I would prefer to re-wrap the guides as it would look better and generally be a cleaner job. It does always come down to what a customer wants and is willing to pay for. The builder however is the one who has to decide to take on the job and determine before he starts if it falls within his skill level and is worth the time it will take. Like most I end up doing a lot for friends and acquaintances that I say I will do at cost, but usually costs me when I calculate my time spent on the rod. Good Luck, and I'm sure you will get other advice and I might benefit from what others may have to say.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: July 29, 2012 10:16AM

X3 for stripping guides and rewraping.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 29, 2012 12:16PM

I have had success just coating the old epoxy with Permagloss. It really cleared things up.

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: July 29, 2012 12:21PM

I have had good luck refinishing old wraps and cracked finish on hook keepers. I clean first, then buff the area lightly with a grey Scotchbrite pad. Blow off the dust and finish. It's not as good as a rewrap, but very acceptable and you have to look pretty close to see that its not new. Clean the whole blank first, and finish the project with a coat of Carnuba wax when you're done.

I would try doing one wrap first and see how it goes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2012 12:26PM by Chuck Mills.

Date: July 29, 2012 06:22PM

The customer really does not want the guides removed and wrapped. I will try cleaning, lightly buffing with 400 grit, and coating one wrap with Threadmaster light. If it looks ok, I'll proceed with the rest. Thanks again for all the advice.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 29, 2012 07:07PM

David: Please post how the refinish procedure you just described works out. I plan to refinish the wraps on a fly rod (my own) if it is possible (and the result looks good). I look forward to your input.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: July 29, 2012 08:40PM

David, Before you proceed, determine how old this Fenwick rod is. If it dates back to the 1970s or before, the finish is likely to be varnish. if this is the case, complete rewrap would in mho be the better course. Make sure you examine the guides for any sign of grooving or corrosion. Good luck.
Mike Blomme

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2012 12:26AM

David,
By the way, if you do decide to just clean the rod, scuff and recoat - do NOT use DNA or any other solvent for the cleaning.
Rather, just a good general purpose cleaner.

I have seen too many issues when something has been cleaned with DNA or another solvent and then applying a finish. Generally problems that only get solved by stripping and rewrapping the rod and recoating the wraps.

Good luck
Roger

Date: July 31, 2012 08:06AM

The old Fenwick looks like new. Most of the problem was dirt and grime. I cleaned and scrubbed with Simple Green, did not rough up the old wraps, coated with TM lite,sanded the cork, and it looks great. Thanks again.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 31, 2012 10:24AM

Thanks, David.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster