I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What can I do with this?!!
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 28, 2012 05:39AM

Hi gents,
Put some flyers at the local tackle shops and boat ramps and it has paid dividends with a new member for the SEARBS group. Went to meet him today and had a good chat. He gave me a broken Ugly Stik that I can use for repairs and another unbuilt blank that he doesn't want. I was just going to use it for repairs and that maybe the only option. Looks like it was a Pacific Composites 10 foot beach rod that has been cut back to 8 ft 6 from the tip!! It now has a moderate action at best with a tip size of 4.25mm, a butt size of 22.6mm and a butt wall thickness of 1.15mm which doesn't indicate a lot of grunt in the butt but it should easily handle 20lb line and doesn't bend all the way down. My only thought is a 20lb land based game rod but it's nothing like my old JS9102 which despite being old is still a very good rod for that. Too old to go climbing up and down cliffs anymore so I might be able to sell it for a beginner in LBG.
Wondering if any of you learned gents have got any other options despite not knowing a lot about Aussie fish and techniques. Aussie replies would be very good.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What can I do with this?!!
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2012 10:40AM

Col.
I would give it to a pool playing friend and let him use it for a pool cue. It is sad that folks can ruin a great blank by doing this to a blank.

Roger

Date: July 28, 2012 03:53PM

Hi Roger,
That's definitely an option, along with using it for repairs or extensions. Steve didn't cut or break it but it was given to him. The tip is cut with a nice clean edge.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 28, 2012 09:31PM

I think I have a problem with my math! Butt diameter is almost an inch. Okay that could be as light as a 5kg rod. You say the tip is 4.25mm after he had cut almost half a meter off...right? That sounds like what we would call an eleven tube size. Seems it was a pretty limber tipped blank to begin with. Maybe it could do as a light power blank for tossing heavy lures....maybe a swimbait type of outfit????

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 28, 2012 10:26PM

Hi Russ,
That could be a possibilty. I'd say it was a fairly light tipped rod as I've got a similar rod that I trimmed the butt for a beach spinning rod and it casts very well and is a good rod for the smaller beach species we get. This things looks like it has only got about three wraps at the butt and was initially pretty light, might even have been a 12 footer as that was what I made the beach rod from. Goes to show what lopping a large amount off the tip will do to a light rod. This thing would easily handle 20lb line as I had to use a lot of effort to get a good bend in it. Although the action is now moderate and it takes a bit to put much of a bend in it. Probably just use it for repairs and extensions as no matter what I made from it would be a lot less than what other blanks would offer.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: August 01, 2012 09:31AM

If all else fails Col, cut it back further and make a teaser rod from it.!

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 01, 2012 03:38PM

Hi Owen,
Now that's a thought, thank you very much.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster