I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old threads
Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 27, 2012 10:26PM

I've recently come across a box of old threads that belonged to my Grandfather along with an old hand wrapper. They date back to at least the 1960's. I remember him repairing rods on this wrapper when I was a little boy in the early 60's.
I'm about to build a Muskie rod for my brother and want to use these threads to build it. It will make it a very special rod for him and it will will be used a lot. The question is, are the threads still usable? They certainly look fine and Once covered in epoxy I think it will work.
I've posted pics to the Tools and Equipment area and attached links below. I'd enjoy hearing any comments about this.

Thanks

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old threads
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: July 27, 2012 11:24PM

Hi Steve,
The wrapper was most likely manufactured by the Thompson company (or at least sold by them) who also made fly tying vises. I used one for several years. Herter's also sold one similar to it. The threads may be a different story. You need to test them for strength and color fading. Just compare your threads to a modern nylon thread to get an idea if the threads are too weak. If you strip the top layer of thread from a spool and see a color change then it is likely that the color has faded in the top layer. If the color darkens after stripping the top layer, you can cut off the last of the top layer and then use the thread underneath. I hope this helps.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 28, 2012 02:03AM

Hi Steve,
That stuff will make up a nice rod which will have a lot of sentimental value to you and your brother, should make one for yourself also. The thread should be ok and do as Michael has suggested. I did some testing a few months back and gudebrod "a" thread was breaking a bit over 1kg (about 2.5lbs). "C and D" should be around 3-3.5lbs. If you've got a small set of scales,I used my drag scales, then test the thread to see what it breaks at. Over 2.5lbs and it will be good if it's not faded. Hope you have a good build on this one.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: chip burdick (---.sub-174-252-58.myvzw.com)
Date: July 28, 2012 09:13AM

What about using the thread as an accent if they are weak. Just
a thought.

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.mycingular.net)
Date: July 28, 2012 09:38AM

If you are concerned about the strength, you could wrap the guides on with modern thread and use permagloss finish on those with no color preserver. Then go over that with the old thread and finish however you'd like. Being a musky rod the added weight wouldn't be noticeable.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2012 08:02PM

Besides possibly becoming weaker, old thread can also become fuzzy. However, with the application of some tension the fuzzy hairs will come to attension like a Marine in boot camp so, that like strength, is easy to discover if an old spool is usable or not before wrapping with it.

I've got thread that's many many years discontinued (that I hoard!) that is just fine, but I've also aquired some old and rare thread that I had to trash.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 28, 2012 08:29PM

Truth be told, some of the old thread is so nice those that hoard wouldn't part with it at any price. Peel off a top layer and use it.

List the brand and we can offer more but chances are high it is a lot better than just okay.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 28, 2012 10:13PM

Thanks for all the comments on this. The spools look very good. No fuzies, no fading, really appear like new. I haven't done any strength testing yet but will. They've been kept in a closed top box in a closet for the last 15-20 years. I'm looking forward to using them and will post pics when I do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster