I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Different colour blanks
Posted by: Jan Lamprecht (196.38.230.---)
Date: July 26, 2012 06:31AM

I am new to rodbuilding and maybe it is stupid question . How do I change the colour of the blank ie. green or yellow ?
Spray , paint , How and what do I do ?
Thanks
Jan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Different colour blanks
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 26, 2012 08:26AM

Hi Jan,
You can change them with spray paint. I get mine done with two pack polyurethane automotive paint that has flex additives. You need to get rid of the original finish or you may end up with too much weight. I sand mine in a lathe carefully using 320-800 wet and dry, using it with water then send it to the local panel beater to do the painting as they have the setup to do it properly and safely. A number of builders use a mild stripper to remove the original finish and it works well for them while others do similar to my method. I always get a coat of clears on the top of colour for extra protection. You can do it yourself but two pack is toxic and you need to read up on the precautions required and adhere to them. I've had quite a few done and they have held up better than I expected. Other paints are also suitable and others will chime in with what they use.
No question is stupid if you don't know the answer.
Also use the search function using all dates and you will turn up quite a bit.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Jan Lamprecht (196.38.230.---)
Date: July 26, 2012 09:07AM

Many Thanks , I appreciate a lot
Regards
Jan

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: July 28, 2012 07:12PM

I hope you haven't started with the sanding yet.

Look up "water break free" . There's an article in an older issue of Rodmaker that addresses this surface prep for SAFELY removing the finish from a blank. Col may have been lucky and gotten away with his method, but using a sandpaper as course as 320 can easily dammage outer graphite fibers and is thus not recommended. You also don't want to use too "hot" of a solvent for removal, which may attack and weaken the blank's resin. I generally use a slightly diluted denatured alcohol in combination with a 7447 scotchbrite pad using light to medium pressure. You also create a slight static charge to the blank if your final scotchbrite abrasion is done just before the application of new finish. Many have good results using a tinted or untinted permagloss finish to coat the blank with. If you're not good with automotive paints an/or don't have access to good spray equipment like me, the Permagloss or Lumiseal application can be done with more readily (and economically) available application tools and techniques.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 28, 2012 10:35PM

Hi Torin,
Not lucky but very careful. I'm into double figures doing it without a problem and mainly old glass blanks. If and when I do a graphite rod I'll look at stippers but finding stuff that is mild enough is not so easy in this neck of the woods. I'll give your method a go and see what it does. Also there is a number of other guys wet sanding without any issues.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 29, 2012 09:40AM

If you want to spray This is cheap and works
[www.homedepot.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 30, 2012 09:20AM

Hello Bill.

Will that sprayer spray PG?

Thanks.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: July 30, 2012 09:32AM

That stuff dries too fast and will probably dry in it
There was a post that a builder did do it Try the Search here and maybe you can find it

I have been spraying spar varnish on bamboo with it

Yes it can be done Here the post is some where on this
[rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2012 12:09PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 30, 2012 12:49PM

Hey Bill

Thanks but I have tried Rick's method (a bit labor intensive but works great) and was looking for a simpler method and less clean-up.

My next try will probably be Tom's "Urethane: Aplication Technique" in RM 14/4 pg. 26.
I have some solid fiberglass blanks I want painted white and coated so I figure I will tint some PG with some Testor's white and try Tom's technique, I know the white will not be opaque but the F/G is already white so it should look good.

Thanks again!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: July 30, 2012 08:03PM

You can also prep the blank and paint it with DupliColor auto white
let dry 3 - 4 days and then wipe on the permagloss Quick and easy -- Well as some as you learn how to apply the Permagloss

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster