I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly reels
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: July 23, 2012 01:53PM

Ok, I realize that this is RODBUILDING but can I get some suggestions for a good fly reel? They will be going on the new 5 weights that I am working on, they will be used for panfish so I don't need anything super special.

Thanks,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly reels
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2012 01:58PM

Check out Angler's roost reels (left side sponsor). Excellent value / price

Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.dhcp.asfd.ct.charter.com)
Date: July 23, 2012 02:48PM

I like Lamson Reels

Don

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: July 23, 2012 03:17PM

as you will see there is a lot of idea's out there,, an they will all do the job for you , I think you want to know is about price as a 5 WT you don't need to have a drag that will hold a truck so if you look at the OKuma reels in the high end of there line , you will get a very good reel for the money , an a lot of big box stores handle some part of there line , even the low end of there lne will do a good job
an no matter what end of the line you get it will be a excelent reel for the money spent
BILL

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2012 05:02PM

The Pfluegler Trion is an outstanding reel and sells for around $100 if you're willing to pay that much. It's also made for and sold by a host of other companies that get as much as $250 for it.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 23, 2012 05:21PM

I second the recommendation of the Anglers Roost line. Lots of sizes, colors and price points. All very good quality and good service form Johnny! On a rod of that weight it is only to store the line, as most of us strip the line by hand when fighting a fish on lighter weight fly rods.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.sol.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: July 23, 2012 07:59PM

You basically need to decide of you want a USA built reel for $$$ or an Asian import for $. There are plenty of off-shore reels that will work, but generally they are built to a price point and the machining and precision will suffer. I totally agree that on a 5 weight, a good drag is not all that important. Your reel is basically a line holder and you strip the line in by hand with most small fish.

If you plan to be fly fishing 5 years from now, it's worth it to have a good reel. If you are just trying to see if you like it, then a really cheap clicker type reel is fine.

The Pfleuger Trion above is a nice reel on the upper end of the import reel world. The machining is nice and the reel feels solid, unlike a lot of imports. Amazon sells them at a good price.

Okumas (plastic body ones) in my experience are very inexpensive ($30) and work OK. If you are a 1st timer buying 2 reels, this is a decent choice.

Cabelas imports a large line of reels-the Prestige Plus costs $50 and is fine for a first reel. Their higher end Cabelas reels are not much better than the Prestige so save your money. Their warranty situation is great as you probably know. I bring one on every trip as a loaner.

With that said, a nice USA built reel will last forever. Galvan, Ross, Bauer, etc will all give a lifetime of service. They are beautifully made and can be rebuilt to new if needed. The imports are all disposable. (except for rare examples like Hardy). In my opinion the most cost effective USA built reel is the Teton "Classic". I'm still running one of those that is 8 years old (when it was called the Teton Tioga) and it's perfect.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 23, 2012 09:27PM

I have a a couple of old Pfluegler Medalist reels. They aren't pretty, and are heavy, I have one that is well over 50 years old, and has been used to catch everything from pan fish to steelhead. They were state of the art when I bought it. The neat thing is they are not expensive, and after 50 years, I can still buy parts to repair it.I have newer and better reels, but I always go back to the old Medalist.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Robert Page (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 23, 2012 10:02PM

On the Asian made side, I'd suggest an LLBean Pocket Water reel. Made from machined aluminum and with a great warranty. At $79 and just under 4oz, it's hard to beat for a 5wt rod.

On the American made side, I'd go with a gently used Ross Colorado #2, but you'd probably have difficulty sourcing multiple reels.

Both reels are Click Pawl and should last a long time with even just minimal maintenance.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 23, 2012 11:06PM

You'll be making a mistake if you don't check out Anglers Roost on the left. Good quality at a very nice price

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2012 11:02PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: July 23, 2012 11:26PM

The anglersroost enterprises reels are a great buy/ bang for the buck. I have one of the 104 spey reels, and have seen 3 of the 201 reels. They are the real deal.... If you want a click pay, try and find an Islander IR reel. Probably the best click paw reel ever made.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: July 24, 2012 02:00AM

The Pfluegler Trion is nicer than the Cabelas reels at that price point, very pretty, I had one. Okuma Sierra 4/5 is lowest price, I have one, it would do and will last if you grease the spindle. A Teton, Ross, Galvan, Bauer will last forever. Lamson reels are more high tech looking and I like that and have a few Velocity reels.

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2012 09:12AM

I have been a Bauer user for years and for panfish, their Little Mac is tough to beat. Great US made products and service to boot.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 24, 2012 09:15AM

I like Lamson Reels the best, followed by Orvis reels. Both are reasonably priced and good quality. But, if I were buying a reel for a 5wt for fresh water use I would go with the Angler's Roost 102M. I don't know how he manages to get that quality reel for the price $55.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 24, 2012 04:51PM

Everyone seems to agree that a quality fly reel will "last a lifetime". With that in mind I see no reason not to consider an older reel. Takes a little effort to find out who made quality reels but isn't on the "collectible" list. There was a lot of rebranding going on so that can lead to deals. Then you have the reels that are clearly a copy. Factor in the biais towards place of origin. Today we think of Japanese reels as some of the best but that wasn't true of a fly reel made in the 60's or 70's. I was hoping to win an @#$%& on a Swiss made reel. Then there are reels that were short lived for whatever reason. Some were actually great reels that were ahead of their time.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 24, 2012 06:51PM

wow, it seems as there are a bunch of GREAT options. I may pick up a "few" for "research" or that is how I am going to sell it to the wife! For starters, I will certainly try the Anglers Roost and then either the TRION, or one of the American made options.

Thanks a TON gentlemen.

Tom

Posted by: Matt Wegener (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: July 29, 2012 11:19PM

Heeeheeeee,
I convinced the wife to spring for a Lamson Guru for my birthday last year. Ooooooh, it is sweetly smooth. A tad bit pricey, but the reel should outlast me. Worth every penny. Also check out the Lamson Konic, a bit less expensive than the Guru, but has the same drag set up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster