I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Composite rubber/cork ring sizing process on cork handle???
Posted by: Bob Hesser (---.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2003 03:21PM

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere & I'm wondering what the best procedure is for getting a composite cork butt piece sized to fit the handle base on a spinning rod.

Here's my current process & I'm hoping for some improvement...

I build the base grip for the spinning rod on a 1/4" mandrel and turn it to size using a drill press.

I ream out the id of the handle & bond it to the rod.

Next I take a composite rubber cork ring without a hole and bond it to the base of the assembled handle.

I take a file and various grades of sandpaper and begin hand sizing the composite ring to the diameter of the handle. This is a long process because the composite ring is harder than the cork and doesn't file or sand very well.

I eventually get to the point where the diameters match, but there's got to be a better way!

Thanks - Bob H.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Composite rubber/cork ring sizing process on cork handle???
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: February 13, 2003 04:06PM

Bob,

I've done similar handles but my approach is different. Not necessarily better, but maybe quicker and easier.

I go ahead and bore the composite ring and mount it with the other rings when gluing up the grip. After turning and fitting to the blank, I then fill the bore hold in that last ring with a mix of epoxy and cork dust/chips. Then file and sand the bottom smooth. On the composite or burl type rings, it really doesn't show up like you might think.

Posted by: Thomas Juster (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2003 05:45PM

I do the same thing Tom K. does, except I drill out the hole in the final ring to get a clean, accurate hole and fill it with a plug cut from solid composite stock with a plug-cutter. I get a perfect fit and after sanding you can't even tell it's there.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: February 13, 2003 10:04PM

Another method maybe even more difficult? I use a Dremel tool with a metal cutter to taper the composite ring to the diameter of the grip, hollow out a round cavity inside the smallest diameter end of the CC just a shade larger than the diameter of the blank butt. I cut a small slice of composite cork from another ring, shape it tapered round and use it to plug the composite ring hole. Sand it and it disappers. Then glue up the butt grip and the composite cork as it will now fit over the blank end, countersunk overlap, Uh!

I end up with a flared composite butt cap.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster