I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod for Beginner
Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: July 22, 2012 11:24PM

What weight and length fly rod ,for panfish, would you all recommend ?I know zero about fly fishing.Are there any online tutorials to get me started in the right direction?Is it difficult to learn to cast?I want something to fish small lakes from a boat. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod for Beginner
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 23, 2012 02:00AM

Hi Bruce,
Don't know a lot about fly rods but for casting the Lefty Kreh DVD's will get you headed in the right direction and there are probably a number of other good ones.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 23, 2012 06:59AM

I would look at a 3 or 4-weight rod. For more fight out of the fish, go longer. 9-footer would be a lot of fun.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 23, 2012 09:11AM

I totally agree with Tom, an 8'6" or 9' 3or4 wt would be just the ticket for this. As far as difficulty to cast, for some they take to it fairly easy, others more difficult. Practice is probably going to get the best results, or if one of your local shops has a casting clinic it would be a great help. The biggest thing is do not get frustrated after the first outing and give up, you will improve with time and practice. lots of good videos on YouTube that will probably help also.

Ron Weber

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2012 07:56PM

Like most of the other guys have said an 8'-6" or 9' would be perfect. I would recommend going for the 4wt over the 3wt. The 4wt will cast surface poppers with much more ease than a 3wt, especially for someone learning to cast. I would also recommend that you over line the 4wt with a 5wt line while you are learning to cast. You won't be able to cast as far but it will help you to learn the timing of when to start and stop your casting stroke. As you get more comfortable and proficient at casting try a 4wt and you'll see an increase in how much line you can carry in the air and the distance that you are able to cast.
You mention that you'll be doing your fishing from a boat, if you going to be sitting down, like in a row boat or canoe go for the 9' rod. The extra length will help keep the back cast off the water. If your going to be standing either length will do.
Get yourself some small surface poppers and a few nymphs and go have a blast. There are plenty of DVDs out that will teach you the basics of casting. Both Orvis and LL Bean have a good book geared towards beginners, both books center more on the trout fishermen but they will have all the basics that apply to all kinds of fly fishing.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: July 24, 2012 10:41AM

Casting from a boat can be a little more difficult than casting on land. Because of that a longer rod makes the 'pickup' off the water a little easier. I would go with an 8'6 or 9'. A 4 wt lets you nicely throw smaller flys but has just enough backbone to throw beadheads, small poppers and hair bugs. 95% of my mid western fishing is done from boats with my 8'6 5wt and 9' 3 wt( with a 4 wt line on it). When I go out West for trout, I use the same rods plus a little 3 wt 7'6 rod for small stream fishing.

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: July 25, 2012 12:52PM

Thanks everyone.Looks like a 9ft 4 wt is what Ill be looking for.It sure is nice to be able to draw on experience as needed.

Posted by: Matt Wegener (---.msl-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: July 25, 2012 11:49PM

Hi Bruce,
I'm not an expert builder like many here, but I have been flyfishing since I was 5. Take the advice above, Kreh will get you started. But when you get "that" cast that feels great you will know, the only trouble will be duplicating it, which will lead to your unique casting technique and a life long addiction. Lawn practice is the key; hard to concentrate when there are hungry fish rising as twilight approaches. Best wishes (don't let frustration win)!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster