I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New lightweight fly build
Posted by: Brian DeKorne (---.feather.net)
Date: July 18, 2012 11:41PM

Good evening. For my next build, I will be using a 1wt superfine Orvis blank. I am still trying to figure out what reel seat will work well. I am thinking about the cork reel seat with hardware that can be found at Janns Netcraft. (http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fishing-rod-handle-kits/025073400007.aspx) Along with the cork handle/reel seat, I am thinking of using Recoil guides.

I am wondering if anyone has used this this reel seat. More specifically, I am wondering how it will fit on the 1wt superfine blank and what grade cork it is. I do not have the ability to turn my own handles, otherwise I would just build up my own. If this handle does not seem to fit the project I am working on, can someone please offer other suggestions?

Brian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New lightweight fly build
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2012 07:08AM

It's a very lightweight handle. Cork is very decent (filled). Not sure what you mean by "how it will fit." I believe it has a 1/4 inch bore, which can either be enlarged or shimmed to fit.

Posted by: gary Marquardt (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 19, 2012 08:29AM

Like Tom said the cork is decent. Not a extreme top grade but good. I've used a few of these on light. Fly rods with good results. I have taken to sanding a bit of a flat on the seat so the rings grip the reel seat better.

Date: July 19, 2012 11:09AM

Tom- What I meant by "how it will fit" was referring to the length of the grip. Will it look too long on a 1wt?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2012 12:23PM

No idea - how long is a 1-weight fly rod?

Beyond that, what should be important is how it fits your hand, not how it looks. At least that's how I'd approach things.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2012 05:44PM

The overall length of most fly rod grips including the reel seat are around 10 inches give or take a half an inch. If you were to order the grip and reel seat separately, most grips are 7 inches with a few companies selling 6.5 or 7.5 grips also. Reel seat overall length depends on the brand and style, but most are around 3 to 4 inches long overall.
The set up you are looking into is 10 inches long, will probably look and compliment the light weight blank you have just fine.
Most important though as Tom said is how it will fit your hand. You could always order it and if it does not fit your hand properly send it back.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (---.dhcp.trlk.ca.charter.com)
Date: July 19, 2012 09:40PM

If it were me (and it has been), I would seriously consider using a nicer reel seat on that nicer blank.
My recommendation would be the Struble D-27 or U-27. The styling is elegant, the insert is light. The components are nickel-silver, which is slightly heavier, but much more durable, than aluminum.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Date: July 21, 2012 04:35PM

Walt, Thank you for that suggestion. I might go with a nicer seat, and also try my hand at turning my own handle. I am thinking around 6''. I might have a challenge on my hands, since I will be using a hand held drill to do the work!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 21, 2012 07:06PM

Cork s easy to shape
If you have a drill you can make your own lath

I just sent one of them back Too small for me
Like said how does it fell in - your hand

Check out the photo page There are a lot of lathes made from drills

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Paul Hunt (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2012 06:26PM

I've had great luck with the REC CRAS down locking real seats all the way down to my 00 weight. I also turn a very scaled down full wells grip. Makes for a very light combination.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster