I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Polypropylene rings for a Tennessee handle
Posted by: Doug Lockwood (---.lightspeed.whtnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 18, 2012 11:07PM

Has anyone used high density Polypropylene to form rings under a reel?
I am planning to use black EVA with inlays for the majority of the handle, but thought 1.25" circles cut from a black cutting board would keep the EVA from crushing.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Polypropylene rings for a Tennessee handle
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 19, 2012 07:30AM

you may have a hard time getting the Polypropylene to glue to anything as it is as it is pretty glue resistant ( usually joined by heating) so I would check to make sure before committing to using it in the handle. But outside of that it would work fine.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 19, 2012 08:22AM

It'a s bit heavy and not as rigid as some other materials you could use in the same area. Hard plastic, poker chips, etc., might be a better choice.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 20, 2012 07:13AM

Doug,
Due to the gluing issue, a better solution would be to take a block of the material that you want to use under the reel and place it on a lathe. Then, use the reel to form a close fitting cylinder that perfectly fits the rod blank and is sized to match the skeletal reel seat.
That way, you really don't necessarily care if you even use any glue to hold the material in place. The front and rear reel seat will be solidly glued. If the center section happens to rotate a bit, it is not a big deal.

Roger

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 21, 2012 07:59AM

Roger

How is the reel involved in forming a close fitting cyhlinder?

How is a close fitting cylinder related to center of guide foot hard shim placement?

How is the term "skeletal reel seat" related to a Tennesse Handle.

Have you ever built a Tennessee Handle for a fishing rod using the Rodmaker Magazine/Richard Forhan texhniques?

If so please post a picture of the handle you are describing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2012 09:30AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 21, 2012 02:19PM

Bill,
Sorry, I missed the title of the post. I thought that he was only making the center portion of a reel seat that would normally be fit between the front and rear skeletal reel seat pieces.

Roger

Date: July 21, 2012 06:07PM

Thank you for the thoughtful responses.
I will look for some hard plastic.

Doug

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 21, 2012 07:09PM

Try a thin ring sanded with some 220 paper Glue it to a cork ring - with rod bond - and see overnight how it is

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 22, 2012 10:33AM

Thank you Roger - this topic is currently on the plate of many custom rodbuilders - including me!

Doug a Poker Chip or a 1/8 inch thick wooden hardwood Dollar Shape available at Hobby Lobby is preferred. Weigh the material used. Be picky when selecting the shim material. The new Poker Chips from Wallmart are entirely to heavy and do not turn well. Do you have a digital scale - you will be surprised when you weigh stuff - EVA, Burl Caps, Ruberized Caps and Cork have different properties.

Many top professional anglers are quite particular about the construction of the handle. OD, length, shape and materials utilized are important. Those who use the Forhan design are insistant that no changes be made. Richard sent me one of his handles used by many top anglers to use as a pattern. Unhide your email address or send me an email and I will forward the information to you.

In hand comfort, weight and "sensitivity - ability to transmit vibrations from blank to hand are paramount - durability for numerous reel changes enter the equation.

You will find that cork and hard shims provide the advantages required by those who have used the Tennessee handle for a long time.

Recent use of skinned foam or tubular handles is also in use. - see Vibronics Handles by Steve Gardner for information.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2012 10:09AM by Bill Stevens.

Date: July 23, 2012 01:54AM

Thanks Bill,

Email unhidden.

Doug

Date: July 23, 2012 11:17PM

I got an email with a drawing for
Richard Forhan's Tennessee handle, which was a real help.

I would like to thank Richard Forhan for sharing his ideas with other custom rodbuilders.

Actually, I tip my hat to the entire community.
Helpful and a class act.
Something to be proud associating with.

Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2012 01:08PM by Doug Lockwood.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster