I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1st crack @ permagloss.
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse5.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 18, 2012 03:41AM

Hi Gents,
Had my first go at using the stuff and it looks like it's turned out pretty good. Wanted to say thanks to Tom for the articles in Rodmaker. Wasn't as difficult as I expected although the humidity is pretty low here at this time of year, will be totally diferent in six months so should have another go then to see what it's like. Anyone thinking of using it should go ok if you follow Tom's directions. The only thing I found was the storage tin. Put a fairly large screw eye in the tin but the stuff doesn't come out very quickly, had to squeeze the can and it leaks a bit more than I would like. I've got another tin and will solder a bigger brass nut to it and put a screw in with a rubber seal.
Covered some stained cork with it on a rebuild and although the grips were good, it's not the best quality cork. Will post a pic or two when I get the rod finished.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1st crack @ permagloss.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2012 07:27AM

It's okay if it has to squeezed out, drop by drop. That's what you want. It's not really the size of the opening you're fighting, it's the fact that a bit of a vacuum is being created within the can.

Date: July 18, 2012 07:45AM

Hi Tom,
Thanks for more info on the stuff. My first thought when it was coming out so slowly, about one drop every 5 seconds despite the tin being full, was that the stuff was going to go sticky too quickly and would be hard to apply. That wasn't the case but the low humidity might have a bit to do with that. What do your think is the biggest size opening you could get away with? I'm still going to solder a nut and use a screw with a seal to prevent leakage but the size of the opening will depend on your response as you have got a lot more experience with the stuff than me, I'm just a learner with this product despite my first effort being pretty good.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2012 09:09AM

The PG will form its own seal - no need for a nut or anything of that sort. The first time it will leak a bit, but will quickly seal. I'd guess the hole in my can is no more than 1/16th to 1/8th inch.

PG will set more quickly in high humidity and less quickly in low humidity. It's a moisture curing urethane so the more moisture it's exposed to, the faster it sets.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: July 18, 2012 09:48AM

I use PG and Lumiseal and keep them in little cans. My work area is in my basement where the temp is about 62F all the time. I just put my can of PG under a a desk lamp for a few minutes and it warms up the gas in the can and that increases the flow. i then tighten the screw back and it reseals itself. Rod Dancer is coming out with a new one part finish that is a water based urethane. I assume that will eliminate the little can. Scott Parsons told me that the surface will be a little more glossy than PG. I am looking forward to that as well.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 18, 2012 10:09AM

No 12Sheet Metal Scew Coarse Threads - tapered not a fine thread maching screw

Click on [www.rodbuilding.org]

The screw is tapered - when you break it loose and screw it out you can adjust from from a drop to a continuous flow.

The screw never comes all the way out -

Repeated use will actually build an external sealing surface of Permagloss to form the sealing surface when the screw is retightened to shut off flow.

Upon initial installation loosen it to allow the contents to make the seal suface around the screw The first time turn the can so the screw is now on top till the gasket surface cures. Make the intiail fill of the can with two bottles to completely fill. The can top and room heat is used as the pump to assist in controlling flow.

NO RUBBER SEAL - IT WILL BE GONE QUICKLY

iT WORKS !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2012 10:45AM by Bill Stevens.

Date: July 18, 2012 04:08PM

Thanks Tom, Michael and Bill for the info.
I'll learn eventually!!!

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Craig Mullins (12.47.193.---)
Date: July 18, 2012 04:56PM

What issue has the article in it?

Date: July 19, 2012 02:03AM

Hi Craig,
14-4 and 13-3 have application techiques for brush(13-3) and foam brush(14-4), the foam brush works pretty good. There's also a article on storage but can't find it. Email Tom and he will set you straight. Not hat difficult to get a good result with the stuff if I can do it on my first go. The humidity here is low at the moment and that gives you a fair bit of working time. Higher humidity shortens the pot life but haven't got any experience with that yet.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 19, 2012 06:48AM

Hello Col.

The article "can it" is in 15-1 on page 22!

The humidity here in North Carolina right now is so bad you can stand outside in the shade and if you don't get wet from the sweat you will from the condensation of humidity, temps in the high 90's with the humidity in the 90's to 100 when it is raining.

Our heat index yesterday was 105-110 with 97% humidity, it will be a little better tomorrow.
When it does rain the steam comes up from the ground and a road will have lots of steam.

Have a good winter Col right now it's to hot to even fish!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: July 19, 2012 08:00AM

Thanks guys

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse4.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 19, 2012 08:05AM

Hi Bob,
NEVER too hot to fish. Don't worry when your humidity gets low we will have what you've got now. Looked in that issue and didn't see it, blind in one eye and can't see out of the other one!!
Take it easy and don't let the humidity get to you.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 19, 2012 09:07AM

The product is aided in the cure cycle by moisture - no problems with high humidity.

Moisture is actually needed for it to function properly.

The product can be quite finicky in low humidity conditions - this is when the problem with small bubbles arises.

Date: July 19, 2012 10:17AM

Hello Col.

My list say's the article (Can It )(PG/LS Cans) writen by Keith Saunders should be there(15/1) on pg 22, but when I go home tonite I will double check.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: July 20, 2012 06:35AM

Hello Col & Craig

Sorry for the mix-up Col & Craig, I guess the info was ment more for Craig than Col but is correct, in 15/1 pg 22-23 is an article by Keith Saunders called "Can It" about putting Perma Gloss from a bottle into a can for better storage and dispensing.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: July 20, 2012 08:25AM

Thanks for the follow up Robert.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster