I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Uneven epoxy
Posted by: Dave D'Ambrosio (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 17, 2012 02:01PM

I did a reverse chevron wrap in the middle of the split grip and wrapped off the ends with no issues.

For some reason on this particular rod, the epoxy is not leveling out but instead drying at a taper at one end and an hour glass shape at the other? I'm drying it on my Pac bay wrapper as I have done in the past with no issues but I am on my 6th coat trying to get this epoxy even and it keeps doing the same thing. Should I only apply it to the high spots or will it simply find its way back to the same areas? Lil' help here as the rod is level but may be off balance somewhere?

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Uneven epoxy
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2012 02:26PM

I would level your the blank with a level while it is on the dryer not turning and then put a new coat only over the low spots and build it up to where it is at most level and from there sand it down while it is spinning while in the wrapper until it is nice and level. After all it done you can simply clean it off with water real good and put an new coat of finish over the wrap and let it dry like always in in your rod dryer and your problem should be gone for good.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Dave D'Ambrosio (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 17, 2012 02:36PM

Glenn,

What grit # paper are you sanding with?

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 17, 2012 03:21PM

After putting on 6 coats and maybe even some more before it's all over with, I'd cut it all off and start fresh. Rewrap, level your rod then put on at least two thin coats of finish. That should be all you need to do.

Lance

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 17, 2012 03:47PM

6 coats of finish ????

Like Lance said - Take it off and start over
make sure you rod is level ---- VERY IMPORTANT
Put a heavy coat of - Light Finish on Don't play with it after a coat is on - Stop the turner - let excess drip off use your brush and wipe of excess - turn 180 do this several times - 2 or 3 Then slow turn

If you see any bubbles a straw blow on the finish -- IT WORKS GREAT

Make sure when using CP it is dry Overnight at least

If your place is HOT -- Cool It Off Finish levels better in cooler temps - Not freezing !!

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2012 03:51PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 17, 2012 05:04PM

With 6 coats, I would sand it being sure to use a sanding block. starting with 100 grit and progressively using a finer grit going to 400 grit. Use a clean cloth to wipe down and apply a thin coat of epoxy. The scratches will dis-appear when the epoxy is applied. Just be careful and you willnot have to rewrap.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2012 05:34PM

Do a wet sanding with 150 # Grit at first just to do the leveling out and from there go to a lighter grit # to finish it off and do a cleaning with water and dry it and one or two coats of finish on top.

Glenn McMurrian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster