I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripper Guides - St Croix Sc4/Sc2 6 wt 9'
Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2012 12:09PM

Building a 9' St. Croix Sc4/Sc2 fly rod for a trip to Montana next month. This rod will see a mixture of conditions over its life, occational western cold water, some trout fishing from a boat on tail water in Arkanasa, bass, and on rare occation maybe some saltwater fishing.

I usually build lighter weight rods 2wt - 5wt and only use on stripper guide. I've got my guide spacing worked out and a size 16 stripper will go at 30 inches from the butt. On my lighter weight rods I only use one stripper and on heavy weight I use two. My typical thought process is less is more, so my tendecy would be to only use one stripper. I've got an extra 12 stripper I could use in place of one of the recoil singel foot guides. Any reason I shoud use a second stripper instead of sticking with my typical use of one?

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripper Guides - St Croix Sc4/Sc2 6 wt 9'
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 16, 2012 12:20PM

Try it and see if you like it If it performs and better or not

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: July 16, 2012 12:36PM

With no real good reason, I'd use 2 stripping guides either 16-12 or 16-10. With the boat fishing in the equation, you could have a fish that goes deep where you will appreciate a bit more strength down in the power section of the rod.

A 6wt is one of those in between rods, where you might find yourself fishing for fairly strong fish, and so 2 stripping guides is not a bad idea.

I would like to hear your impressions of this rod when done, as the SC4/SC2 (along with Batson RX8 and Quickline) is on my short list for a 6 wt I'll be building for next year's shad run.

Drew

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2012 01:18PM

Ed, I usually use two stripper guides on 9ft rods. I've built a bunch of 6wt's and I go with a size 12 then a 10 for the first two guides, then the same size snake or single foots all the rest of the way out. Size your running guides with respect to the knots and loops that you will have to pass thru them.
You can go with a 16 for the first guide, won't hurt anything and I doubt you'll notice any difference between it vs a 12. I've done both and I have never felt a difference. I have only had experience with the Quickline, nice blank and the price is very good. My favorites are the CTS blanks, they are bit more expensive but equal to anything that the US manufacturers are doing with their high end stuff.

Date: July 16, 2012 01:24PM

Think I'll go with two strippers. They will be 16 and 12 AT nanolight, black with gold insert with Recoil SF 2s all they way to the end.

Thanks.

Drew,

I'll let you know how i like the sc4/sc2 in the 6 wt. I have an sc4/sc2 in a 6' 2 wt and 6'6" 3 wt and I'd put them up against any sage or winston blank. However, my understanding is St. Croix changes their blanks thoughout the weights of a line. So, not sure I'll like the 6 wt but it does feel very stiff in the butt with a very sensitive tip.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2012 10:36AM

Ed,
Out of curiosity, what part of Montana will you be fishing.
I assume that you will be trout fishing. As a result, I am curious as to which fishery you will be fishing and what size fish you plan to catch with that rod.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2012 10:36AM

Ed,
Out of curiosity, what part of Montana will you be fishing.
I assume that you will be trout fishing. As a result, I am curious as to which fishery you will be fishing and what size fish you plan to catch with that rod.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Roger

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: July 17, 2012 12:31PM

I am not really a less is more thinker. I use a stripper, a tamer about 4 inches up, and generally 1 or 2 ceramic guids past that on the fly rods I am going to fish. So it is fine with me if you do 2 strippers. No, I do not think it lengthens casting distance. I am the limiter there! But it makes the rod handle line smoother on short casts, adding line to mend, and feeding line on short back casts. Or maybe it does not and it is all in my head.

Date: July 18, 2012 10:02PM

We'll be around Craig montana. Will have a 5 wt rod. The 6 if it gets windy or want to try some streamers. I'll borrow a 4wt from the Trout Shop if its not windy. The 6 is more or less a backup for rough conditions. But I want to take it and catch a trout on it. It is looking real sharp with the burl cherry seat insert and inlay into the grip.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster