I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Everett,Washington
Posted by: Tom Loew (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: July 13, 2012 09:56PM

Hello guys
My son is in the Navy stationed in Everett,Washington. He just came off of a 7 month deployment and now wants to do some fishing
On his time off. Does anyone know if a person can Salmon fish from shore? If so any suggestions on a rod to build him. I would be looking at a spinning rod but have no idea what to build. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Everett,Washington
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 13, 2012 10:20PM

Bill or Kerry at Batson can help you and or your son, they are up that way.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 14, 2012 01:00AM

Kayak Point just north of Everett can be good, but I've done better closer to Seattle or in the Whidbey Island area.
I bet he can find some info on the internet, places like flyanglersonline.com and other flyfishing sites in the area, flyfishing from the beach is pretty popular for coho, pink salmon, and searun cutthroat trout. Amato Press may have a book that can help, the paper, and there are publications in the area that can help also.
Forgot to mention, I have caught many salmon on Vibrax or Bang Tail spinners, also casting and jigging a Buzz Bomb jig can work well. the beaches can be fairly steep allowing the Buzz Bomb to work well by casting and jigging back while retrieving.
I had good luck with a 8 1/2 ft.1 power hot shot rod, but at the time my variety of rods were more limited.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 01:26AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Chris McKim (---.csby.or.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 17, 2012 03:05PM

I would build a med power med to fast action 12-20# rod that is at least 8'6". There are several ways to fish salmon from the shore so it would be hard to recomend anything more specific without knowing exactly how he will use the rod, but this should give you a good start.

Christopher J McKim
Mad Moose Rods
"If you take care of your clients, your income will take care of itself!"

Posted by: Mark Mulanax (---.evrt.wa.frontiernet.net)
Date: July 17, 2012 03:56PM

Have him contact Johns Sporting Goods on North Broadway in Everett- local expert. Not that far from the base either

Posted by: Tom Loew (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: July 22, 2012 08:06PM

Thanks for your help.
I just emailed Karry at Batson's
Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster