I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Understanding the KR Concept guide system
Posted by: Robbie Robinson (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 13, 2012 09:36AM

I have been using the NGC and micro guides for over a year now. The results have been very satisfying. I have reviewed the KR videos and product descriptions but maybe some of you that have used this new guide system can shed more light on how to set up a rod with the KR guides. What would be a typical starting point for butt and choker guides for a 7' rod with a spool dia. of 45.4mm (Shimano Symetre 2500) ? The NGC 27x method says chocker guide @ about 1226mm from spool shaft center. Can anyone take it from there and provide some basics about a starting point for guide sizes and placement? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Understanding the KR Concept guide system
Posted by: Jeff Saxby (---.west.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 13, 2012 10:52AM

I used the information available at the Anglers Rsrc - Fuji link in the links to the left of the page. The guide location calculator is pretty cool. I tweaked things a little for aesthetics, but it worked great.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (74.198.165.---)
Date: July 14, 2012 02:02PM

Don't over complicate things...Tie a line to the spool shaft and attach it to the top of the choker guide.
Then place the larger guides on the blank so the line touches the top of the frame.
Next measure from the choker to the tip, Divide this distance by 4.5 or 5 and place that number of guides at an equal distance apart.
Wham-bam-thank-you Mama.

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2012 08:05AM

I have built 4 or 5 KR concept rods with 2500 series reels, I have been starting with a 20 stripper, place that 19" from the face of the spool, then tie line to the spool shaft and tape the other end to the rod so it just touches the bottom of the frame of the stripper, next place the 5.5 where it touches the line and replace it with whatever running guides your using( I usually use 4's or 4.5's)this will be your choker. Now I like to loop the line around stripper and around the choker so you have a line running between the two so you can place the rest of the reduction train, I have been ending up with 20-12-5.5-choker usually. then place the remaining running guides statically and don't foget to test cast!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 16, 2012 09:29AM

New Guide Concept - Spinning Rods (PDF Format)

Library page

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robbie Robinson (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 16, 2012 02:41PM

Thanks to all who responded. NGC is good stuff but I am not sure that the new Fuji KR series fits the library article. I will go back to the fuji site and review again.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 16, 2012 02:47PM

same thing IMHO

If you look at the diagrams of the two systems
The line from one where it touches the blank - the chock goes there -- Fuji's it is brought back so the line goes over the top of the chock
Same thing
When doing any system guide set up

You Should Always Move Guides and test cast to see if you get better performance with one or the other

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 02:57PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: July 16, 2012 03:14PM

The library article is Tom's 27X concept applied to Fuji's New Guide Concept. A "blend" if you will. That's why things don't always seem to "fit". Our information is based on spool axle angle to compute a choke point and does not consider spool diameter. KR is a further refinement of NGC that shortens the choke point and reduces stripper ring size even further.

Tom made the New Guide Concept much easier to understand and apply. We, as agents of Fuji, don't have the option of modifying the information. We simply try to preserve the intent the best we can in translation and present it as Fuji has provided.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster