I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bird feathers
Posted by: Francis Riego (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 12, 2012 03:34PM

I was reading an article by Gary Rudy about using of feathers...bird feathers that is. It looks so beautiful and I would like to try doing it also. Gary did not
mention as to what glue he is using and how to apply it. I`d like to know if I have to use color preserver first before I glue it to the rod and not use the
color preserver. Is there anyone there who has used feathers and could help me on how to go about this to do this. I would appreciate it very much ig
someone could extend a helping know how. Thank you much....Frank R.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bird feathers
Posted by: Andy Stromsness (192.193.216.---)
Date: July 12, 2012 04:10PM

I have done some and only used CP to get the feathers in position and hold them to the rod before epoxy. Not an expert by anymeans but they are really unique and gorgeous when finished!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 12, 2012 04:16PM

You can get a small amount of fly tying feathers from most of the sponcers on the left
I rinse them before I place on a rod in warm water - try to get rid of any ( things) on them Let dry on paper towels
Then a coat of CP place feather on then more CP
Use the small stiff brush to addjust it to where you want it Let dry overnight

Then several coats of finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: July 12, 2012 05:08PM

Frank I also read that article and am thinking of trying it.I did a search here on (applying feathers ) and turned up much info .Good Luck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 12, 2012 06:57PM

He mentioned that he uses color preserver to adhering the feathers to the rod.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 12, 2012 11:15PM

Most, including me, use nothing but CP. I put CP on the blank. dip feather in a shallow bowl with CP and arrange on rod. CP will hold everything in place until you are finished. It may look a little rough but a couple coats of finish and it will be great. I pop my feathers in the Microwave for about 30 seconds to kill any mites, etc and wash them .

Play around on a scrap piece3 of blank. Using CP allows you to remove rearrange by using water do remove the CP

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Francis Riego (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 12, 2012 11:40PM

I`d like to thank all the wonderful gentlemen who responded to my question about adhering feathers on a a blank. Wonderrful people
like Mike,Andy,Bill,Bruce and Tom. Thanks again guys and rest assured, I`ll return the favors sometime. I do tool leathers and if there`s
anyone out there who might need help, just" holla". I will incorporate some of my designs in one of my custom split rig sometime.

Posted by: Victor Heal (74.114.189.---)
Date: July 14, 2012 03:44AM

I used the same method as Mike for years. Any more I use moveable fixative or something similiar. Just spray the underside of the feather and stick it place.....cp over it just to prevent bubbles etc, finish and done. This way I dont have to try and float every single fibre into place.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster