I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fisher gt 40
Posted by: hakan sandmark (---.gavlenet.com)
Date: July 09, 2012 07:46AM

Hi!
I wonder if there is someone that can give me a little info about fisher´s rod blanks.Here in sweden there is a limited knowledge about them.I recently bought from a whole sale a fisher gt 40 10" #4-5 rodblank.
The reason why i´m asking is simply this, since the rod was finished i can´t get it to perform with either a 4 weight or a 5 weight.Overhand casting with a class 5 line works fairly, but it performs best with a short
belly 6wt type rio dart.Underhand casting dosen´t seem to work at all, i wan´t it to shoot some line but there is almost nothing that happens.Hope there is someone who can help me a little and enlighten me on the
subject.I know that fisher rods dosen´t exsist any more, and info can be hard to find.

HÃ¥kan from Gefle,Sweden

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fisher gt 40
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 09, 2012 09:15AM

It may very well be that the designer intended that rod to cast a very, very long length of 5-weight line. Remember, the physical weight of the line changes as you move more or less of it beyond the rod tip. I would suggest running the CCS numbers on it for a better understanding of the amount of power it has.

[www.common-cents.info]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 09, 2012 11:38AM

Fisher has been out of business for many years, it was designed for overhand casting only. I not sure to many people knew about underhand dominant spey casting back then.

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.bb.online.no)
Date: July 09, 2012 03:01PM

Norway calling. I have Gt 40 I build t around 1995. I thought it was a good rod at that time, These day i let it stay in my "private" rod museum and I think it can not compete with todays rods. here is is a link about the factory : [www.danblanton.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 09, 2012 03:35PM

Try heaver lines A 7 or an 8 may be the ticket
Find some friends that fly fish and use there lines just to try them out

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.bb.online.no)
Date: July 09, 2012 04:45PM

I forgot . They made two series gt40 and the more expensive presidential series. Out of curiosity., i did a few test cast with my 9-10 with a sa 8 weight saltwater taper. I was able to throw 80 feet. The blank is heavy compared to todays blanks. The tip section of the four piece blank is 2,5 gram heavier than comparable blanks. Are you sure that your blank is not mislabed when it comes aftm weight? If recall right they went out of business in the mid nineties . Her is an another link: []

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster