I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bent calstar 600xl
Posted by: gary chesters (---.17-1.cable.virginmedia.com)
Date: July 06, 2012 02:37PM

I have a 2 year old Calstar Grafighter 600xl conventional custom rod that has a slight bend downwards at the second guide from the tip (only apparent when you look along the blank), the guide is a size 10 fugi mnsg. Is it possible that the guide feet were not quite streight and this has caused the bend, and if so would removing it streightening the feet and rewhipping get rid of the bend, (the guides are underwrapped)

Regards Gary

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bent calstar 600xl
Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: July 06, 2012 02:59PM

More likely that such a big guide is adding enough weight to make the tip sag a little:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 06, 2012 03:49PM

You can still see the bend with the blank on its side or upside down, it is also one of a pair the other is ok.

Regards Gary

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 06, 2012 03:53PM

Removing and replacing the guides isn't likely to change anything. Few blanks are perfectly straight and many with much or even some glass content can take a set after a bit of use.

The span between the guide feet isn't large enough to cause a deviation of that sort, unless they were terrible out of alignment, and even then it's not likely. Can you confirm that the bend is directly in the middle, between the guide feet?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 06, 2012 05:34PM

Only mentioned it because a friend and I had 800xl's built at same time. I went spiral with one 10 and all the rest 6's. He went old school conventional. The difference was large and his tip had a definite sink to it.

Just curious, what fish/fishing style do you use it for? There is one out there at an attractive price and I'm tempted but tend to like a little longer rod.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: July 07, 2012 08:25AM

They are my light (for me) tackle trolling/livebait rods I use them with 20lb mono on a tld15,they handle sails no problem. I actualy think I would have been better going with a 600L blank as I think these are slightly slower in action (fast as apposed to very fast) the 600xl has a very fast/soft tip and is very stiff for the remaining 75% of the blank (as it is suposed to be) I think a 600L would have given me a biger usable range ie 20-30lb mono.

I just had another look and it is actualy the third guide aproximatly 1ft from tip it seems to be directly under the foot on the side nearest to the tip

RegardsGary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2012 11:48AM by gary chesters.

Posted by: Eric Warren (149.135.146.---)
Date: August 04, 2012 06:10AM

I would suggest at a guess of course that the when the rod was first built the reel seat wasn't aligned with the backbone of the rod when it was glued in place . Therefore the guides are out of alignment with the backbone of the rod also. This is the most common cause of rods developing bows near the tip of the rod . A good way to check for this is to put the butt end of the rod on the ground with the guides facing down . Then hold the tip with one hand and with the other hand about at the 2nd guide under the rod and just push up until the rod is completely off the ground. If the rod spin around then clicks into a place that is not perpendicular to the ground the rod has been built without the builder paying attention to aligning the seat and guides to the spine of the rod .I would get this second opinioned by a rodbuilder but I would be leaning towards this as the cause of your problem

Let me know what eventuates
And hope this helps

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster