I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod tip size.
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 04, 2012 11:59PM

Hi Gents,
My guide supplier has just released a lot of new products including size 4 and 5 tips. The tube sizes for the 4's go from 0.7 - 1.5mm, the 5's from 0.8 - 1.5 and the 6's from 1.0 - 2.4mm. I haven't seen much below 1.5mm as was wondering how small they get down to these days. If I'm correct it shows that manufactures don't do enough research on tip sizes and definitely don't make 4's, 5's and 6's in a big enough tube size for a lot of rods that builders are putting small guides on. My supplier can get bigger tube sizes in stainless tips but no luck so far on the titanium framed tips I'm after.
I'm going to forward the replies to my supplier in the hope that she can convince the manufacturer to produce biiger tubed tips. If you've got an opinion please post.
Thanks for any info.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2012 02:14AM by Col Chaseling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod tip size.
Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.132.---)
Date: July 06, 2012 01:38PM

Looks like everyone is happy with the tube sizes avaiable in 4,5 and 6 tips. I must be the odd one out, not unusual.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 06, 2012 02:31PM

Hello Col

I'm not to thrilled with them, a lot of the time you can't get a #4 ring with a #7 tip tube and have to go with a size #8 ring unless you use Minima, or FXT's then you can get a 4-7, no way have I seen anything with an 8 tube and a 4 ring.

I have some Seeker CBW709's I would not mind trying a #4 ring on with #4 runners all in titanium.

Maybe some day they will get with the program!

Keep Yellin ya never know!?!.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.132.---)
Date: July 06, 2012 03:20PM

Hi Bob,
I'm less than thrilled also. The only option if you want to keep the guides the same is to bind one on the tip and I'm not thrilled with that either. I'll keep at my supplier and hope she can convince the manufacturer to make them with bigger tubes, she can get stainless ones but all the rods I've got micros and 6's on are titanium frame and they've all got 6's on 8's on the tip. Not ideal to my way of thinking but they work ok.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster