I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flex coat high build tacky
Posted by: Andy Stromsness (---.238.106.216.unassigned.sdncommunications.com)
Date: July 02, 2012 11:08PM

So i know this has been tackled before but...my high build has stayed tacky on the last couple builds. I feel like my mix is good but they are not curing. They have been done in the basement, coldest room of the house, and outside is fairly humid, 65%+ or so in South Dakota.

Any thoughts...and next steps to remedy?

Thanks everyone!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flex coat high build tacky
Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: July 02, 2012 11:52PM

Knock on wood, I have never had finish not cure. It can basically be only 1 of 3 things. Either you did not measure exact proportions, or you did not mix enough, or you mixed 2 portions of the same part of the epoxy. The stuff will cure every time when you thoroughly mix equal portions of the resin and hardener. It's chemical destiny.

So:
How are you measuring?

How are you mixing?

Anything else we should know about how you do things?

I'll bet there is a simple solution for your future mixes.

Drew

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns16.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 03, 2012 01:21AM

Hi Andy,
The cold will effect the viscosity and possibly the levelling as well as the curing time. It won't stop the stuff from curing as Drew said 'It's chemical destiny" if even parts are mixed thoroughly. The marks on syringes aren't exact and the plungers can get out of level a bit. Take a good look at the syringe on your first part and make the second one as near as possible. Try mixing a larger batch as this will lessen the chance of 1:1 being out. Check the syringes for bubbles as these can upset the amounts. If your using a mixer check the speed, it should be around 18 rpm for best results. Look at you mixer and make shore it fits into the corners of your mixing cup which should not have little strengthing lugs in the bottom if it's plastic, glass is best. If your mixing by hand use a mixer that gets into the corners and mix thoroughly for at least four minutes.
It happens to everyone eventually and there is always a definite reason.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 03, 2012 01:21AM

My best guess would be not mixed well enough? just a guess......

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2012 11:27AM

Andy,
Measure by volume so that you have an exact 50:50 mix.
Then, mix slowly to not form bubbles for at least 120 seconds or 2 minutes, as measured by the clock.

As others have suggested, I would guess that you are not mixing well enough.

If in doubt, mix for 240 seconds and then coat.

Good luck
REW

Posted by: Andy Stromsness (192.193.216.---)
Date: July 03, 2012 12:16PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. When/if I need to overcoat, do I need to scuff or clean the surface at all or can I go right over?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 03, 2012 02:42PM

Cover it if you can to keep any dust off ( the tacky surface ) Then just recoat it Maybe just blow it off for any dust

When I mix my finish I - tilt - the cup and turn it as I mix Works for me No pouring onto aluminum foil I thin my finish and Do Not Get Bubbles

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh5.cm.dyn.comporium.net)
Date: July 07, 2012 05:06PM

I'm getting in on this late, been busy, but I think I know what the problem is. I used to have the same problem from time to time and it always seemed to happen when I need the rod ready in a hurry. I measured my finish with syringes and was sure that I mixed it really well by hand. I mixed it so long by hand that I got tired of doing it so I made a mixer. Since I have been using the mixer I have not had the tacky finish problem. Ever! I would have bet anything that I was mixing as well as it could be mixed but the only thing that changed was going to the mixer. I always let it run for a minimum of four minutes and have let it run for more like eight to ten minutes when something distracted me from watching the time. I never have a problem with bubbles with the mixer and a ball bearing. I would suggest that you make or buy a mixer, you will kick yourself for not getting one sooner.

Posted by: Eric Warren (149.135.147.---)
Date: July 22, 2012 11:32PM

Hi there it's my first post hello to all you guys ,
I would also be thinking it's a mixing problem . When it's cold I use a plastic breakfast bowl to mix with .when I've put exact equal parts in the bowl I have a small saucepan full of hot water which I warm up the epoxy by immersing the bottom of the breakfast bowl in ( becareful not to get water in the mix ) when the epoxy is warm it is much easier to mix and you will be able to get a more consistent mixture with little chance of the mix not mixed properly. Be warming the epoxy it flows around the wraps really nicely aswell. Just remember that in warmer weather if you use this method it accelerates the curing of the epoxy .

Hope this helps

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster