I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winding check
Posted by: Bill Molden (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: July 02, 2012 07:56PM

I've seen rod with round winding checks finished just after the foregrip (either leather or hypalon) on stand up and IGFA rods. How, and out of what materiel are these made?

Oh and BTW thanks !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2012 07:57PM by Bill Molden.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winding check
Posted by: Dane Newman (---.wehi.edu.au)
Date: July 02, 2012 11:15PM

Are they winding checks or are they epoxy ramps that you are referring to?

Date: July 03, 2012 08:50AM

OK ramps, they go where a check or hosel would go. Actually they are a type of hosel. I dont think they are cork , but maybe wood , made in a lathe? Just don't know.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2012 09:10AM by Bill Molden.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2012 03:24PM

could they be the ones Kevin has at anglers envy? he has some custom made out of acrylic that are really nice

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 03, 2012 05:14PM

Find out who owns the rod And ask them ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Marcello Groegel (---.virtua.com.br)
Date: July 03, 2012 08:10PM

If Im geting you right...those are made of epoxy (ramp) and after they are shaped and smoothed after that you cover with thread and epoxy........(kinda bulb shape)
on a light setup it adds too much weight IMHO...seen it on troling rods and like

Date: July 04, 2012 09:25AM

Exactly-- Penns International rods have them (IGFA). I'm sure that is what they are but I don't think they are covered with thread .?

Posted by: Dane Newman (---.wehi.edu.au)
Date: July 04, 2012 09:24PM

Penn may have found a way to do it on the quick and cheap without using thread, but the majority (if not all) of epoxy ramps are covered in thread. It's certainly a good indication of how glossy the black thread comes up once epoxied.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 05, 2012 11:57AM

Hello Mr. Bill Molden.

I build my ramps using "Black vinyl winding checks-tall (VWC) and put epoxy over that so I don't have to build the ramps with just epoxy, which I have done allso (but it takes a lot of time).

Tight Wraps & Tight Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: July 05, 2012 12:04PM

You can also -Tint- whatever you use to color it

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster