I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

DIY Drying Box?
Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: June 29, 2012 01:51PM

Does anyone have some good suggestions on a box I can use to contain a rod lathe or dryer so the epoxy is protected from dust, fibers, and cat hairs?

It is becoming tiresome to create tin foil caves and last night, for the first time in years, I did not cover a butt section I was turning. When I came back to check on the epoxy and houe later, I found a beautiful white kitty cat hair laying across the butt.

I am looking for something I can lower over or even place the rod lathe or dryer inside. I would prefer to find something I can just buy or have someone make for me versus getting out the power tools.

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DIY Drying Box?
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 29, 2012 02:23PM

Get rid of the cat....lol

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 29, 2012 02:45PM

Not very long ago someone on the photo page detailed a box he had made from a commercially available cabinet or something. I can't exactly remember, but the gist was that he saved a lot of time by starting with a structure already built and then made a few modifications to suit his needs.

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2012 03:10PM

I'm with Don, " Get rid of the cat!" Thats got to be as aggravating as a moth in the epoxy, that struggled its way down in the epoxy. LOL!

Posted by: . Douglas Webb (---.sub-75-228-230.myvzw.com)
Date: June 29, 2012 03:15PM

I now have a box a friend built me. But for a long time I used a box that cabinets came in. I asked and was surprised that a big box store would hold one for me. Anyway, I added about two feet to it to accommodate one piece rods. I sliced it along the top front edge, instant top. I cut a couple of round holes in one end and the handle stuck out just enough to insert into the dryer chuck. It was not pretty, but it worked well for a long time until I could do otherwise.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2012 03:21PM

Tony,

Check you e-mail. I just sent you plans of a rod drying cabinet I built a year or so ago. This could be modified to accomondate a lath.

'Hope it is helpful.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 29, 2012 03:26PM

Throw the cat out and put a door on if you don't have one WITH A GOOD LOCK
KEEP EVERYONE OUT

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: June 29, 2012 03:44PM

Thank you everyone for your recommendations on feline reduction and control and special thanks to Don Campbell for the plans he sent me.

I agree with Tom's suggestion to start with an existing design and tailor to my purposes and I cna start with Don's plans.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2012 04:00PM

Go to your local appliance sotre and pick up an empty cardboard refrigerator box.
Use the cardboard and tape to make the size box you need.

When needed, just drop the open box over the rod and you will be good to go.

REW

Date: June 29, 2012 04:12PM

Shoot

Can't get any simpler then that And keep that cat out

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bal.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: July 01, 2012 08:17AM

I have done the cardboard thing and that does work. Looking to buiild something with glass doors this time.

Thanks, all!

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2012 12:24PM

I think I'd go to someplace like Cabinet Discounters; Renovations (Habitat for Humanity resale shop); or look on-line for used cabinets & seconds. Buy as many as you think you need for length / width. Remove the center of the door panel & replace with glass or plexiglass. You can arrange them so the doors swing up or drop down (depending on how close you need to be to the opening & location of the box). If swing up think hard about supports that lock open to hold the door(s) open. If all that sounds like a PITA or difficult you are welcome to come on down & we can fabricate you a decent box out of plywood or pressed board for not a lot of money . Just need to think on dimensions and how many rods / what lengths you will have in the box simultaneously. Cardboard box and an agile, inquisitive cat are not a good mix

Here's one place in Baltimore for you: [www.loadingdock.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2012 12:53PM by Ken Preston.

Date: July 01, 2012 12:56PM

If you do the cardboard box leave some tabs on it so you can tape it Screw it down So that cat can not move it

Plus a good door with a lock i love animals but not the hair

Come to think about it Card board would be dangerous catch fire and burn the house down ??????

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2012 01:12PM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster