I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help with weave
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 27, 2012 12:42PM

I am going to be weaving TEXANS vertically on a blank with the tip side at .86in and butt side .95in with a overall length of 17in. "Texans" does not have to fill the entire area, but appropriate size letters for the blank is needed. This will be matching a set Billy V's custom grips with the Texans logo on them. I have a couple of questions. I have only done a few weaves thus far. What size thread would be best to use? How many threads should I use? Is it possible to make a weave of this length turn out nice? Can I start in the middle and work out in one direction at a time to keep the weave centered? Any other suggestions would be appreciated or even if someone would be willing to share a pattern that would be awesome.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help with weave
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 27, 2012 01:47PM

Hello Brandon.

You need to talk to Jim Upton about that but there used to be some patterns for letters in the rod builders library.

What type of weaving loom do you use?
I use a wonder Weaver, but have only done a few weaves mostly dragons and fish.

Well good luck with the weave.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 27, 2012 02:20PM

Brandon; I'm at work right now but will help you after I get home tonight. Be sure your E-Mail info is not locked so I can send you E-Mail. There are several things I would need to know.

Jim

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 27, 2012 04:10PM

First, a few general things to know.

100 size "A" weaving threads cover about 1 inch or 21mm and a little less for the same wrapping thread. So, a pattern (or single letter in this case) that you would want to be 21mm X 21mm square would require 100 weaving threads and 100 wrapping turns to complete (approx). If you used 100 "A" threads in your pattern, "TEXANS" having 6 letters with spaces in between, the completed weave would be about 7 inches long and wrap all the way around the blank if your stated measurements above ( .86in and .95in) are the circumference and about half way around if those are diameter measurements. Figure 100 threads high X 650 turns long (10 turns between letters).

Size "C" is about 80 threads per inch.

Size "D" is about 66 threads per inch.

Yes, it's possible for a weave that long to look great but the key is to keep it straight. Wrapping tension will want to pull the weave downward.

I'm going to assume the above mesurements are the diameter so I would think the letters would look the best at about 1/2 in high so they dont wrap to far around the blank and be easier to read. So, figure a letter pattern of 50 "A" design threads or 40 "C" design threads or 33 "D" design threads. "TEXANS" would be approx 1/2 in high X 3 1/2 in long completed without any trim decor.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 27, 2012 05:52PM

Ray, I think he said he wants the letters to read virtically, T at the top and S at the bottom, unless I missed something or read more into it than he intended.

Date: June 27, 2012 06:00PM

Your right Jim,

I missed "vertically".

However, the thread specs are the same regardless. Correct? That is except for the letters can be taller / narrower on the vertical and still be read well.

A block letter generally has the same measurement wrapped in either orientation thus the term "block" lettering.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 28, 2012 07:52PM

A special thanks to Jim Upton and Raymond Adams for the emails and getting me pointed in the right direction on this weave. Once I get rolling I'm sure I will have more questions. You guys have gone above and beyond. I'm sure you guys are extremely busy and to take the time to send me patterns and break down the pattern sizes and number of threads to use is absolutely outstanding. Thank You.

Date: June 28, 2012 10:39PM

My pleasure Brandon,

Just paying it forward cuz what goes around comes around I always say and others have done the same for me many times.

Raymond Adams

Building a loom
Posted by: Neil Wilfong (---.sip.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 29, 2012 10:44PM

Does anyone have any plans for building a loom before I invest in a high dollar one ? I am gonna get me some books as well but who would y'all suggest Doc Ski ? I understand he's a godfather of weaving?

Re: Building a loom
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 30, 2012 08:09AM

Jim Upton detailed plans for a weaving jig in a past issue of RodMaker. You might also check the photo page under his name. I think he's showed it there previously.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.89.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: June 30, 2012 08:27AM

Doc Ski's weaving jigs are available to buy for about $50. Doc's Dvd - "Advanced weaving Techniques" Jim Upton's book - "A guide to thread weaving for the custom rod builder. Jim's book also shows how to make a weaving jig.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster