I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color Preserver Life ?
Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 27, 2012 01:37PM

Does CP get too old to use? I've been using out of this bottle for about a year? Had a skin fog up on me, probably wasn't dry enough before I epoxied it...?
Thanks,
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color Preserver Life ?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 27, 2012 01:43PM

It does age and at some point will become too thick to use easily. If you can still get good penetration into the threads, it's probably okay to use.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 27, 2012 01:55PM

A buddy of mine gave me a half used bottle that he had last used in 2001 and it was still good.

Date: June 27, 2012 05:45PM

I used this over a snakeskin inlay. It seemed fine when I put it on. It's been 24 hours and it's cloudy and the epoxy doesn't seem to have hardened as usual. Is there anything I can do, short of cutting it all off, clean up the blank and using new skin?
Thanks,
Jeff
P.S. would heat from a hairdryer help to see if it will clear up?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 27, 2012 07:17PM

Every one yells at me for doing it -- But water based CP can be thinned

Try adding a few drops of water if it is water based - Mix very well It may mix with what is on and help it to thin and dry

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.145.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: June 27, 2012 08:02PM

Nothing wrong with thinning it. Doc Ski when using flexcoat cp on his weaves always thinned it. I thin flexcoat cp with distilled water when i use it on the top layer of a tiger wrap, and i'm still using a bottle of flexcoat cp that i bought in 2005... still works perfectly.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: June 28, 2012 10:25AM

Jeff. it sounds like you did not allow enough time for the CP to dry before you coated it with the epoxy. The CP is actually like a watered down Elmers glue or a latex based paint and must air dry. If that is the case, you might be better off to start over. The epoxy will cure as a result of a chemical reaction and will prevent the moisture in the CP to escape. A hair dryer/heat gun probably won't help the situation.

Date: June 28, 2012 10:29AM

Thanks all & William.. I think that was the answer I was expecting, but not wanting to hear... :)
~Jeff~

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 28, 2012 11:41AM

Re read you post William is right that the fogging will not go away
I have used several different CPs and went back to good old Flex Coat But ya have to let it dry well

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster