I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

lite and high build
Posted by: Ashley Wright (---.lnk.telstra.net)
Date: June 23, 2012 12:10AM

I recently received an order from a large online rod building component retailer. In the order was an 8 oz pack of Flexcoat lite build, or so I thought.

Mixed up the first batch of it the other night for a rod and it was getting really hot after about 30 seconds of mixing in a plastic cup, much hotter then I had experienced before.

Didnt think anything of it continued mixing as per normal for another 2 minutes. Left it to rest for 5 mintues to reduce bubbles.

Go to put it on the guides and it is very very sticky already. Got two guides done and had to throw the rest away.

Looked at the bottles The resin "flexcoat lite build" the hardner "flexcoat high build". Thought it was a bit odd the bottles were only packed in a zip lock bag and not the original Flexcoat packaging.
Anyone every experince this before? any perceived problems using the contents?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: lite and high build
Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 23, 2012 01:39AM

I have had this same thing happen to me also with FlexCoat but for me it was with the heavy build and it got hot and dried super fast but that was in Calif so I think the weather my have something to do with it as I now live in Oregon much cooler and I never see this anymore.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: Linus Tay (120.139.152.---)
Date: June 23, 2012 01:52AM

I had the same problems once with Flexcoat High Build. It got really hot and hardened even as I was stirring it! After 2 mins, the mixing stick was totally stuck to the cup. Very strange. I threw that cup away and mixed another batch from the same bottles and it was fine. Can't explain it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2012 06:35AM

That sort of thing almost sounds like it was the adhesive and not the finish, although the labels you quote don't seem to indicate that.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 23, 2012 06:41AM

If it is hot a humid when you are finishing your rod the finish sets up a lot faster, had the same thing happen last week.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2012 08:31AM by Don Morse.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 23, 2012 08:01AM

As Tom said, this sounds EXACTLY like adhesive and not at all like either of the finishes.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 23, 2012 12:10PM

Sounds like you did not get what you ordered
I use the Flex Coat UV and it takes a heck of a longer time to set
That almost sounds like 5 MIN ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ashley Wright (---.lnk.telstra.net)
Date: June 23, 2012 09:38PM

I exclusively use lite build for the minimalistic finish it gives.

The finish this "Hybrid" mix gave though acceptable was quite "bulky" on the thread.

Ive double check the bottles both say finish and not adhesive.

Ive tried again, bearing in mind it is winter here in Australia with a much smaller quantity (2ml or each) and although still giving a bulky finish the workability time was much better.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 23, 2012 09:58PM

You can apply high-build finish very sparingly by using a stiffer brush. It can applied as light as thin varnish.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 25, 2012 08:21PM

I talked to the people at Flex Coat awhile back. The gentleman I talked to was very knowledgeable about this product. He told me that the high build and lite build products use the same hardener but the resins are different. He also said that you can mix the high build and lite resins and come up with a medium build finish. The reason I called Flex Coat was because I was having trouble with fish eyes when I ran my second coat of lite build. When I started having trouble, I talked to a guy that runs a local fly shop and teaches rod building. He told me that you can’t run a second coat of lite build over lite build, you have to use high build for the second coat. This didn’t sound right to me, so I went to the source.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Hardener congealding in bottle
Posted by: Gene Lewis (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 16, 2012 12:18AM

I started to put a second coat on my wraps this evening and found the hardener I've been carrying in my pocket all day to warm it, had congealed in the bottle. It was the consistency of jelly. Should I throw it away or will it come back after it cools? Also, the resin has become a darker yellow than it was last time I used it. Any suggestions, please?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster