I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson RX8 2wt
Posted by: Jeremy Kurtz (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 22, 2012 04:33PM

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have built the Rainshadow RX8 XF662-4. How fast is it, and is it a real 2wt, or more of a 3wt?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson RX8 2wt
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2012 08:00PM

You'll have to define what makes a rod a "real 2-weight."

Keep in mind, that at some distance/line length, a 2-weight and a 3-weight weigh the same thing.

Date: June 22, 2012 09:17PM

Well, it's a 6'6" small stream stick. In that length, and marked as a 2wt, it should cast and fish well in the 15-30 foot range. As we all know, not all little 2wt rods cast and fish a 2wt line worth a crap within normal small stream fishing conditions. It should have an ERN in the 2's for that kind of work. So, basically, I would like to know if the XF662-4 really fishes a 2wt, or does it need a 3wt for my small stream perameters (15-30').

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 22, 2012 09:31PM

According to who? The measured section of fly line according to AFTMA is 30 feet, so at the minumum you'd expect it to load only once you're holding 30 feet of line beyond the tip.

If you find a blank with an ERN of say 2.5, you'd need about 25 to 30 feet to easily load your rod. If you want to do it with less than that. you might want to look at an ERN of 1.5 to 2.0, if you can find such a thing.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 22, 2012 09:52PM

Don't know about the RX8, but the RX6 is definitely a good short line 2wt. I have built many of them and fish one myself in the small Sierra streams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2012 11:12PM by Phil Erickson.

Date: June 22, 2012 10:17PM

Phil, I've cast the RX6 2pc 2wt and didn't care for it.

Has anyone here built the RX8 and fished it? Does it fish a 2wt line in normal small stream situations, or does it need to be overlined in the 15'-30' range?

Posted by: Bob Hallowell (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 23, 2012 02:21PM

I have an rx8+ 8'6 4wt I know it is a different beast but it ern's at 6.4. I use it for a differnent purpose than I bought it for, It is a very nice streamer rod with a 6wt line. I also have a 6'6 rx7 2wt I have never ern'ed but for a short distance brookie rod I use a 4wt. I have a feeling that blank would be a nice short distance rod with a 4wt line and dead with a 2wt but I have never tried one.

Bob

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 23, 2012 05:34PM

If you can get the numbers on it

The one below is rated extra fast ????????

Ihave found the RX 6 blanks to be soft

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 23, 2012 05:38PM

If you can get the numbers on it

The one below is rated extra fast ????????

Ihave found the RX 6 blanks to be soft

Try a search here for a spinning blank A lot of builders have used them for Tip flex with But power

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Carlos Page (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2012 06:45PM

If you are referring to the XF662-4 6'-6" 4 pc rated by batson for a 2 wt line - go ahead and build it. I have built a number of these - one for myself and a few others for fishing our local spring creek and it is will be one of your favorite dry fly and multi fly nymph you'll own.
Regards,
CP

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster