I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

st croix rod blank reccomendation
Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.128.---)
Date: June 20, 2012 02:38PM

A customer wants a st.croix rod blank that he will be able to feel a 1/2 rattle trap ticking the grass. He currently has a sc3 6'6" moderate action med-heavey power that doesnt really work for him (can't feel the grass but works well for dd-14 and dd-22's).

I am thinking an scv in this blank 5C72MM-B 7'2" 1 8-14 1/4-5/8 M MODERATE Bass / Walleye .428 5 1.40 am I on the right track or is there something that maybe even better for this application.

Thanks,

Dan Grulke

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: st croix rod blank reccomendation
Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 20, 2012 04:30PM

I have several SCV and SCIII's. The SCV's are remarkably more sensitive over the SCIII's.

Posted by: Stephen Gruber (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2012 06:36PM

I have been more than happy with the SCv builds I've done. Just curious though, has your customer tried different lines? That can make a big difference.

Another consideration would be building on a "spinning" blank. You'll find find several that match your specifications in different lengths. Generally, if a customer is concerned about sensitivity, I'll try to go to a shorter blank.

Good luck man! I'll be curious to see what you decide on, and what your customer thinks.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 20, 2012 06:44PM

Does he use LIVE bate or LuRES
A fish will inhale a live bate and keep it

With a lure he will suck it in and find it is not the real thing -- and spit it out

maybe he is fishing wrong

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 20, 2012 06:45PM

Does he use LIVE bate or LuRES
A fish will inhale a live bate and keep it

With a lure he will suck it in and find it is not the real thing -- and spit it out

maybe he is fishing wrong Some time - it is Pacience grasshopper

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rick Jones (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2012 11:25PM

I really like my 5C72MHM-B 7'2" . It has become my "go to" cranking rod. I put an Abu Revo on it and it casts forever! I feel whatever the bait touches: grass, weeds, rocks. I think the MM will be good. You can't go wrong with the 5's, I've built 3 for me and 2 for a friend.

Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.128.---)
Date: June 21, 2012 07:58AM

Thanks for the feedback it is what I figured right blank for the application. Have alot of experience with the sc3 cranking blanks but wanted to know what I figured "the scv cranking blanks are much more sensitive". Thanks for your feedback.

Dan Grulke

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster