I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod blank Suggestion
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: June 19, 2012 08:45AM

I am a little out my comfort zone here as i only build about 4 or 5 fly rods a year.
A buddy wants a 3/4 weight in 9ft and 4 pieces.
No shiny/gloss finished blanks, natural graphite: its for a very specific technique in crystal clear waters and even then the guides will be smoke with matt poly instead of epoxy.
He would settle for 8.5 ft but really would prefer 9.
Other than a SAGE( $500-Ouch) I cannot find something he wants.
He knows what he is doing with fly rods so I have few reservations about building what he is asking for.
Most blanks i see are 7.5 ft.
I tried Anglers Roost, blanks too short or too longs at 11ft plus or too few pieces.
Get a 4/5 or 6/7 SPEY and throw away some butt section/s?
IM6 would be fine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod blank Suggestion
Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2012 09:01AM

In the MHX series, we have either the F903-4-MHX or F904-4-MHX. The blank has a slate grey finish, no gloss. Both are 9' - 4 pc. blanks, in either 3 or 4 wt.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2012 09:19AM

The MHX blanks are a good choice. Rainshadow has their RX7 model in a 8'6" 4 piece 3 weight, just to compare.

Terry

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 19, 2012 09:19AM

The MHX blanks are a good choice. Rainshadow has their RX7 model in a 8'6" 4 piece 3 weight, just to compare.

Terry

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 19, 2012 09:24AM

North Fork offers two 4wt blanks in an 8'6" four-piece design ... one moderate action and one fast action. They are natural sanded graphite, no finish at all. Best of all, Made in the USA and designed by Gary Loomis.

[northforkcomposites.com]

Karen @ Bingham carries the line AND the retail on those blanks is half the price of the Sage blank you mentioned.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2012 09:26AM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2012 09:36AM

Plenty of choices out there in a matte finished blank, Mud Hole has the MHX, Batson RX-7, Pac Bay Tradition II and CTS (they have several models that each have a specific taper and all come in matte). North Fork Comp also makes a 4wt.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 19, 2012 10:07AM

You can also take a XFine 3M pad to a blank he likes for a matt finish. My priority would be the technique specific blank, everything else is doable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2012 10:13AM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: June 19, 2012 10:53AM

Any on IM6 you guys can think of?

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2012 11:13AM

IM6 should not be an issue. It really doesn't tell you a lot about the blank. You need to find our what he will be using it for and what action he wants, i.e. fast, medium fast, medium. These are all subjective terms but if he is a knowlegeable fly fisherman, he should be able to give you a good idea of what he wants. All of the options I know of have been mentioned, except the Batson Rainshadow RX8, which is a fast action rod.

Date: June 19, 2012 01:10PM

Bob, i know what he is using it for. I do it too but use a 7/8 with him.
Toughness/Ruggedness and no shiny is the main criteria.
He can cast anything so action not a problem.He will adjust to it, unlike me who can battle with the fly rod.
Its not distance casting, its sneaking into clear water and dropping small lures onto bedding fish through and over limbs. He holds a few record for several countries and its always on lightest line etc.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 19, 2012 01:24PM

Forecast F904-4 ... 9'0", 4-piece, 4wt, IM6. Yes, it is a blue gloss finish ... but nothing that citrus stripper or MEK can't take care of. Underneath that bright exterior is a really dull interior that meets the bill. It is a very inexpensive blank and tougher than dirt. Call Karen @ Bingham, she carries the Batson lineup and can get one out to you. IMO, you can't possibly go wrong. Do your stripper test(s) in the grip area. If it works to your satisfaction, you are golden. If not, you haven't harmed a thing AND you can build a little 4wt for another purpose/person.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: June 19, 2012 01:57PM

Bob McKamey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In the MHX series, we have either the F903-4-MHX
> or F904-4-MHX. The blank has a slate grey
> finish, no gloss. Both are 9' - 4 pc. blanks, in
> either 3 or 4 wt.

Bob beat me to it.

Posted by: Jon conner (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 19, 2012 03:32PM

CTS, Affinity X, fast ultra light, best feeling, most lively blanks you can find, half the price of Sage, comes in bare sanded carbon finish. Available through Herb Ladenheim.
JC

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2012 09:15AM

Batson XF904-4, MHX F904-4 are great choices. If 8'6 is ok, then the NFC is another fantastic option.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster