I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ideas requested
Posted by: Charles Angemeyer (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 16, 2012 11:41AM

Hi,

Currently I'm making split grip rods and I use the Sully rod wrapper. The problem that I have is when I'm working near the butt of the rod I have difficulty laying down thread because I have to place the butt cork in the left-most felt Vee holder of the wrapper. I can't place any part of the south end of the rod in the holder because that is the section of the rod that I am working on. Hopefully you are able to visualize what I am describing. I've often mused that if I could just somehow extend the rod off of the butt cork that would solve my problem. Then I could place the "extender" in the left most "V" of the wrapper and wrap away on the south end of the rod. With all that said, here is my question: Can any of you offer any advise on how I might overcome this? Do any of you have an idea for something that I can clamp onto the butt cork that would extend out six to ten inches? It would be terrific if someone had an idea.

On the other hand, I may be thinking about this whole thing the wrong way. I'm prepared for that possibility too. Thanks very much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ideas requested
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 16, 2012 12:04PM

Don't install the butt-cap until after the thread and finish work is completed and you will be able to slide a scrap piece into the rear and support the rod on the scrap piece.

Or, get a piece of PVC pipe that you can slide over the butt and with some masking tape create a tight enough fit so you have a temporary outter extension to work from.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Greg LaPolla (---.dsl.irvnca.pacbell.net)
Date: June 16, 2012 12:30PM

I may not be visualizing this properly, but you can move the thread carriage to far left of the track and put both holders to the right of it.

Greg

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 16, 2012 12:57PM

If you are using the Sully or any manual wrapper - sitting in the same place - moving the rod

I prefer sitting in the same spot and moving the rod - better for my old eyes and back - I love the Sully set up - wish I had one - I use to V blocks.!

One Piece Rods With Split Grips

1. Follow Raymond's suggestion to insert extension in butt when wrapping thread in the split grip ares.

For the rest of the guides and tip top.

2. Attach a loop overhead that will allow rod to be level with rest of wrapper - I use size sixteen electical vinyl coated wire - can be used as a slide support for the butt section when working on the guides and tip top - slide the rod butt through the loop and stay put - I use two loops and build rods to eight feet.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 16, 2012 01:02PM

Greg and Raymond both gave you a solution that works fine. I use the Sully and have done it both ways.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 16, 2012 09:36PM

Ditto on the responses. I stick a scrap piece in the butt

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: June 17, 2012 07:13AM

Another ditto on Ray's post here.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 17, 2012 07:59PM

Like Mike, I keep various sizes of scrap pieces available and snug them into the butt piece. Makes things very easy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster