I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guides for 7' 9", 3 piece, 6/7 weight Steffen Brothers blank?
Posted by: Peter Chan (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 16, 2012 02:13AM

I am finally getting around to building a Steffen Brothers 7' 9", 3 piece 6/7 weight fly rod for fishing hex and mouse patterns for big brown trout. Mark Steffen suggested the following spacing for this custom blank, however I could use some help on selecting the size of snake guides and stripper to optimize this rod.

tip top: size 5

#1 - 4 3/4" = 4 3/4" size #2 snakes?
#2 - 5 1/4" = 10" #2
#3 - 5 3/4" = 15 3/4" #2
#4 - 6 1/2" = 22 1/4" #2
#5 - 7" = 29 1/4" #2
#6 - 7 3/4" = 37" #2
#7 - 8 1/2" = 45 1/2" #2
#8 - 9" = 54 1/2" #6
#9 - 9 3/4" = 64 1/4" 10 mm Struble dark red agate nickle silver stripper guide
Is this stripper guide too small? It seems rather close to the blank. Should I use one with a higher frame?

Thanks for your suggestions in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guides for 7' 9", 3 piece, 6/7 weight Steffen Brothers blank?
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: June 16, 2012 07:52AM

Peter, personally I would follow his recommendations. One thing you can do to really check the spacing would be to tape all the guides on the blank, run a fly line thru the guides and put the line and blank under some tension. Object is to make sure the line and blank are following the same curve, without the line touching the blank and no "flat" spots on the line between guides. Might need a minor adjustment on guide spacing but I would bet they are going to be really close.

The stripper guide will be fine also, plus it will give the rod a classy retro look. I have used them on some of my glass builds and they work just fine with the ring setting lower in the frame. Glass is some sweet stuff to build on and fish!

Posted by: Bob Baudoux (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 16, 2012 08:22AM

IT's your build and its called custom rod building for a reason. Take his suggestion for what is, a suggestion. Tape some guides on and test it. The blank will tell you what it likes.

Posted by: Peter Chan (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 16, 2012 10:02AM

I need to clarify: Mark gave me guide spacings, but NOT guide sizes. I guessed at the sizes, based on previous advice from the rod board to get the line close to the blank as quickly as possible. So what I really need to know: Given a size 5 tip top and using 8 snake guides plus a stripper guide; is MY configuration using a low frame #10 stripper followed by one #6 and seven #2s reasonable based on the above premis?

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: June 16, 2012 01:17PM

Good Morning Peter,

If the #2 snake guide will pass the knots easily, then they are large enough. if they don't pass the knots, go up one size and check again. I also wonder about guide #8 which is a size #6. Is this a snake guide as well? If it is, then it is another running guide and I would make it a size #2 as well. If I were building this rod, I would probably use another "stripping guide probably a #8 or make the butt guide a #12 and the next guide a #10.
These choices are not written down in stone. Rod building is not a theoretical activity and is an experimental (trial and error) process. The best advice I can give you is to tape the guides on and find a nice park and test cast the rod 10 or more times. Then shift the butt guide 2 inches closer to the reel and cast another ten times and compare to your first set of casts. Repeat this process when you shift the butt guide 2 inches closer to the tip. You should be able to determine which of these positions is best. You can then make adjustments to any of the other guides if needed. I also hope you have done a static distribution test to see how guides follow the curvature of the rod when it is under flex. If you go to the library at the top of the page, you will find an entry for the Static Distribution Test and fly guide sizing. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Sincerely,

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2012 06:41PM

I normally use a high frame spinning guide for my fly rod stripper guides. It tends to reduce line slap when initially shooting line. Just a bit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster