I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reamers
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 12, 2012 07:39PM

Does anybody make an indestructible reamer? I recently bought the Dream Reamer, but I guess I got it to hot and the sandpaper started to peel. I used rod bond to glue new strips on and they didn't last. Maybe rod bond wasn't the best choice. It is quite hard to hold the strips on while the glue sets so I don't really want to go through that again. Does anyone make a all metal reamer? Which works better, pilot bits or reverse drill bits? I'm thinking reaming may be easier if I remove most of the material with a drill bit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reamers
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 12, 2012 08:14PM

No. Rubber cement. Flexcoat Reverse Bits, IMO.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 12, 2012 08:31PM

Not rubber cement....contact cement works fine. Don't get it hot! Ream slowly. A rat tail file will work but you must be careful not to jam it if using power,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2012 08:33PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 12, 2012 08:37PM

You are also using them to HARD Ease off Do a little at a time
You can use a regular drill bit and take some out -- them ream easy Ream a little Clean the grit off - Then a little more Easy does it -- Don't get them Hot

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 12, 2012 09:37PM

I had the same problem. What I did was mix up some rod finish Flexcoat high build and purchased grit from Mudhole. They work better now then the first time.Reverse is the key.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: June 12, 2012 10:16PM

I may replace the sand paper with grit, but first I'll try re-gluing with contact cement. I think preboring will help.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 12, 2012 10:44PM

If you go from the grit tape to the grit particles your taking a step backwards. Use contact cement and your problem will be solved.

Lance

Date: June 13, 2012 07:40AM

The grit can come off and stay in the handle Then when sliding the handle on it will scratch the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jeff Frei (70.41.56.---)
Date: June 13, 2012 08:23AM

What is the advantage of the reverse drill bits? I understand the concept of running a tapered reamer with spiral abrasive strips in reverse but I can't figure out why a reverse drill bit would work better than a standard Irwin.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 13, 2012 08:41AM

Go to Flex Coat's website, check their video on making a reamer, buy the abrasive they sell from a sponsor, and you'll thank me in a month, lol. I have a lot of reamers which I made, and the abrasive does come off over time, I just make a new one. They last a long time, especailly if oyu follow the instructions on making & using them.

Posted by: Forrest Peters (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2012 10:30AM

That is the one part I forgot to mention it is necessary to blow the cork out after reaming with grit. Or with any sand paper.

Lone Wolf Rods
"Keep your powder dry and your lines wet"
God Bless

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 13, 2012 05:16PM

I have scratched theheckoutof a blank when the grit was stuck in the grip. I tapped it on a hard surface and blew it out. It so happens it was lodged into the cork pretty good. I have not used it since.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Date: June 13, 2012 07:27PM

I make mine with the grit strips from Mud Hole
Last a long time -- Just got to be easy

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: June 13, 2012 07:45PM

Jeff the reverse flexcoat bits are the cats meow.They are sharpened on the back of the flat part of the bit where it joins the shaft.The shaft is long,you put the shaft through the grip and then into drill chuck.The shaft will stabilize it in the grip hole and you pull it through the grip while holding the grip in your hand cutting with the back side of the bit, not the point.Sponsors sell them,and theres an article somewhere how to make them, in one of the RM Mags,(that magazine deal again lol) Good Luck to you.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 13, 2012 08:33PM

Brandon

I use both the dream reamers and some home brew reamers mad out of scrap blank pieces and glued on grit. Both types have their pros & cons. As for the grit left in the grip bore, I draw a bottle / tubing brush through the grip several times before sliding the grip down the blank. Never had a blank scratched!

Rog

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2012 08:34PM

I to have severely scratched a blank with grit stuck in the grip from using epoxied grit on a reamer, and I used an air gun to blow out the grip.......................NO MORE!!!

Replacing the grit strips is not that tricky if you follow the contact cement instructions. Having to replace a blank due to my error is costly!

If you turn the reamers with a drill too fast they will heat up and soften the contact cement bond. Take it easy!

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns2.dav.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 14, 2012 09:36AM

I have made a couple of my own reamers using a replacement belt for a belt sander. I used 60 grit and it seems about right.
Mark off a strip about 8mm wide and cut it off with scissors. Glue it onto an old piece of rod blank using contact cement.
I have the Batson Dreamer Reamer set also and these are great for fast taper spin bass-type blanks, but for fly rods and slow taper spin rods, you really need to make you own reamer to match.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2012 09:37AM by Dale Holmes.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 14, 2012 10:06AM

Add the grit type reamers to teh list of recent rodbuilding misc stuff that I say @#$%&

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster