I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

epoxy hardening time?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 11:26AM

Just curious, on how long does epoxy really take to harden all the way through, I had some epoxy left over in the cup, it had been sitting for like 24hrs, and went I took out the left over epoxy from the cup, the bottom was like still sticky. Seems to me like it would be hard all the way through after a couple of days. Just a ? in my head. Tight lines!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: epoxy hardening time?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 11:54AM

If you mixed in the small plastic mixing cup with the ridged lines inside of it, and the stuff tha was up against teh cup isn't set up - that itsn't going to set up because it wasn't mixed "properly". If that's the case and it bothers you, don't mix in those cups.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 12:10PM

A shot glass is good Does not have the ridges

Let it sit for 4-7 days and see if it drys

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 12:33PM

If part of it is set up and part is not, it was not thoroughly mixed.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.137.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: June 11, 2012 02:05PM

I use the tin foil cases - the ones without ridges preferably for better mixing, also use some plastic shot glasses (and yes i know you shouldn't because of the silicone issue, but the ones i use don't cause contamination)

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 02:11PM

I didn't mention that it bothered me if you would read, "just curious", but for your info, Billy, the cup had like 1/8 of an unch left on the bottom, thats why i thiought I would ask, but thanks anyway. In looked at the bottom of the epoxy I took out, it is getting less sticky. yea for the mix, its gertting hard!

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 02:22PM

I use Stainles steel mesureing spoons , it is smooth, an bend the handle a little so it will set level, an you can hold it in your hand , where the heat of your hand will help to bring the bubbles to the top,
this will hold up to 2 CC each for mixing [ 4 CC total ] , easy to wripe out after with a little DA

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 11, 2012 03:02PM

Epoxy hardens all over at the same time. Any sticky residue left in the cup bottom indicates a batch that was not thoroughly mixed.

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 03:43PM

I use the bottom of full soda or beer cans. I clean off the ink with alcohol or acetone. If it is warm in my house I'll use it at room temp, if cool I'll warm it in warm water. The warm can thins the epoxy and releases almost all of the bubbles, however a warm can also greatly speeds up the curing time.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 04:20PM

Mix more.

Try:

Flat mixing tool

Mix 100 strokes right, 100 left, then 50 right, and finally 50 left.

Works 100% of the time, and you cant get the finish out of the plastic cup, it's STUCK.

DR

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 04:27PM

I use the mixing cups When I mix I tilt the cup and mix i also use a popcicle stick Split in half to mix with

Never had a problem About 5 houres and set to the touch

Got to be doing some thing right

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster