I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

4th Double Foot Insert Guide on 9wt Fly Rod?
Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bal.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 08:42AM

Happy Monday!

I am building out a 9 weight St. Croix SCV "saltwater" fly rod with all American Tackle's titanium ring pressed guides and have decided on all the guide placements. After the 20, 16, and 12mm strippping guides, the rest of the guides are single foot. I use (2) 10mm to transition to 8mm running guides which I use all the way out to the tip.

I am not sure why I tried this, but if I use a double foot 10mm for the first of the (2) 10mm, the line follows the blank much better.

Is this an issue to use a 4th double foot guide? I do not see why it is much different (if at all) from using a double foot snake guide.

Just curious....

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 4th Double Foot Insert Guide on 9wt Fly Rod?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 11, 2012 09:53AM

For starters, you have too many different guide sizes on that rod. You're not buying yourself anything other than additional weight. The line doesn't care about ring size - it doesn't use the ring, only one contact point on the ring. Why not try 20 - 12 and then all 8's for a straighter line path and less overall weight.

If your double foot 10 has the same height as your single foot 10, then the number of feet makes no difference.

Posted by: Tony Scott (74.116.156.---)
Date: June 11, 2012 10:07AM

Hi, Tom.

I always appreciate your thoughts. I know you are a big fan of getting down to the running guides more quickly and you have given similar advice before. Maybe I am secretly trying to build a spinning rod, but I like transitioning the sizes.

The double foot has slightly more height because the ring is perpendicular to the blank versus the single foot which is slightly angled. Just one of those design thangs.

Thanks,

Tony

Date: June 11, 2012 10:35AM

Then the difference is due to guide height, not how many feet are on the guide.

Date: June 11, 2012 12:49PM

I agree

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 03:51PM

You also have to think of that a casting rod and fly rod the line comes off the reel Streight
With a spinning rod the line comes off the spool - in pig tails - And the spool is a lot higher from the blank So the guides are set to to streighten the pig tails and make the line Streight and the Line Path is made to bring the line close to the blank Quickly Or where ever the path puts the Chocker guide

There is a difference

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 11, 2012 04:14PM

Bill -

Are you saying I do less transition and configure more like Tom recommended - 20, 12, then 8's out the rest of the way?

Thanks,

Tony

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 04:33PM

yes

You can play But like I say The line is coming off the spool in a streight line Unlike a spinning rod

Try different sizes Try your way --- then Toms way Always nice to have extra guides to play with

Also what I have found in my casting Is that I start with the guides at the 180 Streight down = But when I started to cast I would = turn - my hand and face the guides to the right Casting with right hand

Every one makes or gets into bad habits Watch how you cast - Remember and correct the bad habits
Go out side and spend an houre or two - Watch

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2012 04:53PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 05:24PM

On a heavier salt water rod, especially if used in open water, the 3 transition guides is not a bad idea. Your original set up of 20-16-12 will work great. There is no need for a 4th double foot guide in my opinion. I'd use all 8mm runners. Are you using stainless or titanium frames? I ask because I had some bending problems with the AT titanium single foot guides. If they do get bent and you try and bend them back, they will break. If the rod will see any rough service, traditional snakes, especially RECs will hold up better.

Good luck

Drew

Date: June 11, 2012 07:15PM

Any guide size transition is for your eyes only - the line neither needs it nor cares about it.

Posted by: Tony Scott (---.bal.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 07:32PM

Drew -

Now that you mention it, I have bent some of the titanium guides and I have no idea where or when.

I do like tthe AT guides because I can build 20's down to 8's in the same frame style, but I also use their black nickel stainless guides in the same series. Of course, now you having me thinking too much! Have you used the black ones? I am thinking as they are stainless, they would be more durable?

Thanks,

Tony

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 08:06PM

Tony Scott Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Drew -
>
> Now that you mention it, I have bent some of the
> titanium guides and I have no idea where or when.
>
>
> I do like tthe AT guides because I can build 20's
> down to 8's in the same frame style, but I also
> use their black nickel stainless guides in the
> same series. Of course, now you having me
> thinking too much! Have you used the black ones?
> I am thinking as they are stainless, they would be
> more durable?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony

Never used the black ones, but I assume it is a black coating over stainless.

In my case, I built an 8wt (Ironically an SCV) with AT titanium single foot guides. Bent one guide about 20 degrees from where it was supposed to be. Bending back that few degrees, it broke off. I replaced it, but the next time out bent another one just casting. After that I stripped them all off and replaced with Fuji Titanium "KT" single foot running guides. I've only fished the rod once since then but so far, so good. Next guide I bend, they are all coming off and I'll consider my experiment with single foot ceramic "fly" guides a failure. I respect the fact that people here have good luck with them, but I do not.

I am speculating here, but the stainless ones will likely hold up better, but then you need to consider the issue of corrosion when salt water fishing.

Heading out for shad tonight-maybe I'll fish that SCV! Nothing like a bit of overkill!

Drew

Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: June 12, 2012 11:34AM

Re-christen that SCV, man!

If you switched to the "KT" guides what are you using for stripping guides?

Thanks,

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster