I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can I Rotate A Reel Seat ?
Posted by: Tom Loucks (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 10, 2012 03:25PM

I have a salt water rod with an all aluminum reel seat. Due to my stupidity the reel seat needs to be rotated about 3/4" or 10 degrees to be inline with all of the guides, which are in perfect alignment. The seat was installed with 24 hour epoxe.
Can I heat the seat to try to soften the epoxe and then rotate it? I dont want to take the rod apart and then rewrap it unless I have to. What would you do? Maybe if the seat is large enough I could remove the rear hypalon and work from that end.
Any input or ideas are appreciated.

Thank you
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I Rotate A Reel Seat ?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2012 03:49PM

Epoxy doesn't work like hot melt cement. Once you break the bond (if you can) the seat will be broken loose. The Epoxy will not reset when it cools.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns14.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 10, 2012 04:38PM

Hi Tom,
You need to get it off, clean off all the old epoxy and redo it. Don't forget the inside of the seat. You might be able to get it off from the butt end provided the seat is not a snug fit. Don't know what you have for a rear grip etc but that has to come off. You might be able to loosen the epoxy with some heat but you need to be careful. Another method is to let it sit in some boiling water and then try to loosen it. Either way it may take several attempts before the bond is broken. A set of multi grips may help to loosen it but you'll need to protect the seat with a rag or similar. If the seat is a snug fit then you'll have to cut off with a dremel or similar but you need to be very careful that you don't damage the foregrip or the blank. If you get it off and rebuild from the butt end you may need to get a larger id grip to get it on. This may require some building up of the blank with thread so you get a snug fit.
Good luck.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2012 04:55PM by Col Chaseling.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 10, 2012 05:52PM

I don't pretend to have the experience of others here. IMHO you have three options. At first look some appear to be more work. In the end you may learn otherwise.

1) Remove and rewrap all the guides. You have a pretty clear idea of what this involves.
2) Provided the reel seat can fit over the butt end of the blank you can remove the rear grip and reel seat. This seems to be the easy way out. First you need to know the reel seat can come of the butt and second you have to try and break the epoxy bond. Breaking the bond has the potential of ruining the seat as well as the blank. Depending on how the seat is installed, and the epoxy used, you may or may not be able to remove and save the reel seat. You are probably better off not even trying and cutting it off. Making a spiral cutt in the reel seat and inserting a screwdriver to "pop" it off entails less risk.
3) This will seem like an unbearable option but is the quick and easy way. I wouldn't pick it for a bass rod but it is fine for a heavy salt water rod. Cut the reel seat in half at a 45 degree angle. Split the reel seat after making a spiral cut in it. Remove the seat and gimbal. Obtain a piece of scrap blank the fits inside your old one. Solid fiberglass stock can be used and turned down to fit. Carefully make up an internal plug from your scrap that fits the inside taper of your blank's front and rear section. Use drywall tape to make reel seat arbors. Sand inside of the old blank and epoxy the scrap plug from butt end, install reel seat arbors, epoxy on the reel seat and plug to the front section of the old blank, and epoxy on your gimbal. It may sound radical but consider what a uni-butt or stuart tuff-butt with the aluminum tube is.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: June 11, 2012 05:39AM

hmmmmmmmm.... another issue raised here I think, Tom L seems to glue the reel seat after he wraps the guides..I personally do it the other way round, glue and finish the grips and reel seat then i wrap the guides, plenty of fine tuning to line the guides up to the reel seat but easily done. plus its very simple to line the reel seat up with the spine first of all, plus if I get into strife with grips or reel seat and they move before curing It wont matter,
cheers

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 07:50AM

Yep always do the handle assembly first A lot easier

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 11, 2012 09:54AM

If its for yourself heat it twist it then pin it Larry

Posted by: Marcello Groegel (177.29.176.---)
Date: June 11, 2012 10:13AM

How would you install the grip from behind once you have a taper ?
At the butt end you will have a Nice fit but close to the seat it will be lose. You might be able to wrap a thread in order to remove the taper but .....???!!!!! Lol

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 12:32PM

I build it up with 1/4" tape
If it is cork and you have a lath you can sand the cork make it level and slide the handle and onto that

That also depends on the seat The seat will have to fit over the butt end

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster