I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Couple rod restoring questions
Posted by: James Bare (50.105.7.---)
Date: June 06, 2012 08:16PM

I have a kunnan rod I want to strip and redo since the wraps, guides, and the cork grips are showing thier age. How is the best way to take off the cork handles? I want to also rewrap it with thread that is as close to original as possible, does any one happen to know what color blue thread they used on the rod or should I just try and eyeball and find the best match?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Couple rod restoring questions
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2012 09:14PM

Someone told me to use a pair of Channel lock pliers to twist off the cork rings. CAREFULLY!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2012 10:01PM

If you have any sort of rod lathe or wrapping machine, it's a simple and quick matter to course sand/rasp off the cork grip.

Date: June 06, 2012 10:58PM

So once I get the cork off, do I use some heat to remove the epoxy that glued the cork grips on?

I feel kinda silly asking but I haven't torn down a rod handle before and this is a sentimental rod for me and I don't wanna mess it up.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 06, 2012 11:33PM

Hi James,
You can do that and you'll probably need to sand it a bit as well. Another option is to sand it down far enough so you can use what's left of the original grip as an arbour, then your left with a parallel arbour that will make fitting of the new rings a bit simpler. if you take it down a fair way you won't need as much reaming to fit the new ones. Not my idea but that of another of the learned gents on this forum that has successfully used that method. Don't feel silly about asking questions that relate to something that you've never done before, that's one of the many good things this forum is about ie helping other builders.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: June 07, 2012 01:22AM

I know I shouldn't feel silly for asking questions on here, but I am used to going on my own and figuring stuff out. If it was any old rod I would more than likely start pulling cork off and see what happens. This is the first baitcasting rod I bought after I taught myself how to cast a baitcaster. I know it has to be 20 years old at the very least and is still one of my go to rods when ever I go fishing.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 07, 2012 02:01AM

Hi James,
I know what you mean about going it alone as I did that for nearly 35 years and had to learn everything myself, usually the hard way. Since I found this forum I've found that I do most things the same as others but have found a lot of new techniques and ideas also. Rodbuilding is a never ending learning curve and the forum helps immensly with keeping up with what's out there. Hopefully I've been able to contribute a little bit.
Good luck with the rebuild and I hope it turns out as you expect.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 06:49AM

James,
When stripping a rod, I generally do the following:
1. I use a pair of regular slip joint pliers slipped to the largest opening to chew off the cork. With the pliers wide open, the rear part of the pliers make quick work of chewing away the cork.
2. Then I use a heat gun to heat up the epoxy left on the blank to soften the old glue. Then I just use a sharp knife - held at 90 degrees to the blank to scrape away the old glue. By holding the blade of the knife perpendicular to the blank, it is easy to scrape away the old glue with out cutting into the blank itself. You can normally complete this task in 3k or 4 minutes.
3. Then, I will use a dremel tool with an abrasive cut off wheel on it to slice open the reel seat. I will slice the reel seat on both sides, then insert a screwdriver into the newly cut slot, twist the screwdriver and pop the split reel seat off of the blank.
4. Then, use heat to repeat the process to remove any arbor or old glue from the former reel seat position.
5. Finally, I will just work up the blank putting a bit of heat on each guide, spinning the rod to heat the wraps around the guide. Then, take a sharp blade working on the metal side of the guide to slice open the slightly heated wrap. Then, on each remaining residue at each guide site, a bit of gentle heat will soften the finish and wraps enough so that a bit of 90 degree scraping will quickly eliminate all of the wrap and finish material in the area of the guide. Repeat for each of the guides. As you near the tip of the rod, be very sparing of the heat on the blank. Excessive heating at any spot on the blank can destroy the blank. So use any heat with caution. Use just enough heat to soften the finish so it is easy to scrape off the finish and wrap residue.

All in all 10-15 minutes should complete the task and let the rod be ready for re wrapping., Under normal circumstances there is no need to use any sand paper or abrasive, since the slightly heated finish will scrape easily off of the blank with a sharp knife or other sharp object.

Good wrapping.
Roger

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 07, 2012 09:08AM

If the cork grips are "showing their age" and are not tore up why not just clean them? A lot of nasty looking grips come up like new with a bit of cleaning . Soap & water or even a brillo pad will work . Larry

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: June 07, 2012 09:39AM

I am with Larry on this: Many grips(unless used as a hook keeper) come up just fine after some dish wash soap and a green kitchen style scouring pad.
Cleaned 20 year old cork could be better quality than a lot of what is out there now as new.
But if its too bad and you can chuck and spin it, use it as an arbor and oversleave it.
There is also the x-wrap shrink grip option: fill holes first and it will look great too.

Date: June 07, 2012 04:30PM

How do you post pictures on here? I can take a picture or two of my cork and see what yall think, but I think it is replacement time vs just needing a good cleaning. I could be wrong though.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 07, 2012 06:41PM

Hi James,
You need to have a separate login for the photo page but you can use the same one as for the forum. Tom will send you an email when your right to go.
The biggest issue with loading photo's is their size and if they won't load just keep making them smaller until you find the size you need. The software that comes with digital cameras should allow you to resize them.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: June 09, 2012 01:54AM

Not sure if this is right but giving it a shot with the pics of my cork handles

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.125.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: June 09, 2012 05:54AM

James, could you or anyone else tell me please how you do that - making a link on the forum to go straight to the photos you want to show.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns14.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 09, 2012 08:10AM

Hi Steve,
Good to see I'm not the only one who can't do that. Hopefully someone will tell us how to do it.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 09, 2012 09:39AM

Go to the photo page
Bring up the photo you want to see
Then go to the top of the page Right click the photo page address
click copy
Then come back here and right click the post Click Paste

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.125.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: June 09, 2012 02:08PM

Got it! Thanks for that Bill. Hope you worked it out to Col?

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns14.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 09, 2012 04:35PM

Hi Steve,
Will give that a try next time I need it. Thank you Bill

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster