I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

The "Experiment" Turns 12 Tomorrow
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 06, 2012 06:40PM

[www.rodmakermagazine.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The "Experiment" Turns 12 Tomorrow
Posted by: Bruce Tomaselli (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 06, 2012 07:16PM

Hik Tom. I've been helped over and over again by the generous people on this forum. I can't imagine it not being here. I appreciate the amount of work it takes to maintain this forum for our benefit as my sister is a computer person. I've learned so much and gotten out of some tight spots because this forum exists. Thanks for all of that you do and for providing us this forum so we are able to exchange our ideas.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.70.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: June 06, 2012 07:16PM

Congratulations Tom, and well done for all your hard work in making this forum the best Rod Building forum on the internet, heres to the next 12 years and many more to come!

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2012 07:29PM by Steve Mcleod.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 06, 2012 10:20PM

Congrats Tom, I can speak for my self and many others by saying you are doing a great job.

Posted by: Bill Ruha (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 12:34AM

I was originally started in rod building in 1974 by my fishing partner who had copied a few pages in Clemens' book. I was hooked! Until the this website was started I never had any any additional information. I have learned so much from this web site and from the expos (every one), that every rod I make now has no comparison to what I made before. From my experience what you have created here, with Rodmaker magazine and with the ICRBE is irreplaceable for any serious rod builder.
Thank You,
Bill Ruha

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 01:04AM

Tom,

Not only is this far and away the best rod building Forum
it's also the best forum of any kind I have yet to find.

Frankly... nothing even comes close to all the informative posts, the photos and the
incredible generosity of participants eager to share their expertise and assistance.

You have created a great resource for custom rod builders
and maintained it with the highest standards.

I applaud your achievement.

DG

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 07, 2012 02:05AM

I'm more than happy to second everything that has been said. I added my comments to the blog.

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lns7.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 07, 2012 05:42AM

Cant tell you enough how happy i am to have found this site.Its doing my brain in how much information there is on this site and i dont feel at
all intiminated to ask questions.In the very short time i have been a member i have learnt so much and havent even scratched the surface.
Great work and looking forward to the next twelve years.

cheers....Ray

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 06:04AM

I wonder how many have been here since the beginning? I remember the old forum that Tom & Ralph were posting on prior to this one. I cannot believe it's been that long since I was fighting wiht Tomabout the user names, lmao Billy 40's first post: [rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 07, 2012 07:06AM

Hello Tom

One word "THANKS".

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 08:14AM

Who knows how large this will be in another 12

Happy Birthday

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 09:47AM

Mr. Wizard

"I wonder how many have been here since the beginning?"

.org - 5,569

Photo Board - [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.cov.dmt.ntelos.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 12:52PM

Mr. Tom . . .

Thanks a million times over for all your efforts with this "experiment" I started building rods when Dale Clemens had a dream and Gene Bullard was the only OTHER source of supply. Not very hard to design a fishing rod back then. I stopped in 1985 to go into some heavy duty commercial/art photography work as a sideline - now thats fun - with film and a 4x5 camera with a few medium format roll film cameras thrown in for good measure.

Then, in the spring of 2003, my wife stated that her son would like to learn to fly fish . . . . .that's all I needed to hear. One Sunday I spent 4½ hours on the comoputer and this rod board was the first that caught my eye when I wanted to inquire of the wherabouts of Dale Clemens, hoping he was still with us. Thanks to Andy Dear's reply and this board, Dale and I made contact -it was great to be full circle with the gentleman that helped me into this wonderful hobbie/business.

The reason that was so important to me was that for Dale's second book, "Advanced Custom Rod Building" he asked me to do most of the drawings for the publication - now that was REALLY fun . . .1977 and 1978 to be exact - Winchester Press-first edition, hand signed - still got it along with his other two!

Tom, keep up your wonderful work and may all of us be blessed with many more years of building fine fishing tools.

Charlie

Posted by: Chuck Howard (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: June 07, 2012 05:43PM

Thank you Tom for all your hard work, and your devotion to this hobby.

Chuck

Posted by: carol staiculescu (109.99.52.---)
Date: June 08, 2012 06:30AM

Happy Birthday rodbuilding.org.
Congratulations Tom, for a well done "Experiment".
Allot of people around the world are learning from here but many of them think they are not good enough to also write here (most of them think they cannot bring something new or unique to rod building so they prefer only to read) . Other people have secrets they want to keep when it comes to craftsmanship. Others have other reasons not to write here. I can only say to all those mentioned above : Speak up your mind . In the end only what you've left behind you matters. So if you gain some information’s here and make someone happy with it elsewhere or the other way around , when you draw the final line only that happiness matters.

kingofbeasts custom rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 06:42AM by carol staiculescu.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster