I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork Sealer.... Purpose? Necessary?
Posted by: Brent Holland (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 06, 2012 08:17AM

I've seen cork sealer advertised... what purpose does it serve? And is it necessary? Does it add strengh? Longevity? Stain protection? Does it affect grip - enhance gripping power? Or is it just to improve the looks of the cork? Or is it just something else to sell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork Sealer.... Purpose? Necessary?
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: June 06, 2012 08:32AM

It works out at about 10c per rod to use it for me as i mainly build split grips.
You use one coat,more is a problem.
What it does for me is make the cork easier to clean.
Slightly changes its color to something i prefer.
lasts on the rod about 1 year with my usage.
Your call if you like it or not but at about $5 a bottle that covers say 50 rods , i doubt its either a major money maker for retailers or will break your pocket book.
Best way to find out if you like it is add it to the next order you place.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2012 08:38AM by Lou Auret.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 06, 2012 08:45AM

Hi Brent,
I also think that cork sealer is a good product and I also like the slight colour change it produces. It also stops the cork from getting that grey oxidised look if it is left in the natural state and does make cleaning easier. It's easy to apply, lasts a long time and can be removed with a light sanding when you need to recoat. Doesn't cost much and a bottle will do a lot of rods.
It doesn't affect the grip but it's not necessary. Up to you if you want to give it a go.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: June 06, 2012 09:18AM

Can't argue with the price! ... Do you think its anything much different than a spray clearcoat? I'm attracted to the spray because it flows on evenly, and I like the look it produces.

Date: June 06, 2012 09:21AM

I like the idea of removing it with a light sand... anything reworkable has to be an advantage. Not sure you get 'reworkable' with the clearcoat.

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 06, 2012 09:25AM

I use clear satin or matte finish spray on repaired cork or on cork filler that has been sanded it "blends" pretty nice Larry

Posted by: Darrell L.Pack (---.qncyfl.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: June 06, 2012 09:58AM

If you use your rods in saltwater it is a must. It helps keep the salt out of the cork pits and increases your handle life.

Date: June 06, 2012 11:45AM

Thanks Guy,... I'll give it a try. Blessings on your day, and on your projects.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 09, 2012 01:45PM

Do a search on here There are several different products builders use

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: June 11, 2012 06:01AM

Hi Brett:
Cork sealer, its great, repells stains, seals it nice, gives it a darker warm look about it. it leaves a nice even coat if your as rough as me.......one strange thing though....if you let the first coat dry for to long the second coat is repelled off like water, so make sure you get the second and third coat on before the previous coat dry's to much.

Date: June 11, 2012 07:58AM

Thanks Owen, good advice. Sounds like one coat kind of melts into the other while its still somewhat wet; once it drys it starts doing its job of repelling! thanks again, Brent

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 11:52AM

I'm not a fan of the multiple coats of cork seal. To me it makes to cork feel "fake". I'll brush it on and let it sit fora minute or so, then turn my lathe on and using a piece of old jeans "bufff" the sealant off. The key here is knowing what you like, and applying it to give you the results & feel you are looking for.

Date: June 11, 2012 01:12PM

Interesting ... I'll try that 'buff' with jean material idea. I know in wood lathe work they recommend burnishing the wood surface with a scrap piece of wood (same kind) to smooth it out, heat it up and create a patina. I do the same with a scrap piece of cork before I seal it.... something to try. Blessings to you, Brent

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster